5 RBI For Yunel Escobar: Jays Beat Yankees

NEW YORK, NY - AUGUST 29: Chris Stewart #19 of the New York Yankees tags out Jeff Mathis #6 of the Toronto Blue Jays during their game at Yankee Stadium on August 29, 2012 in the Bronx Borough of New York City. (Photo by Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 8 Yankees 5

Now that was fun, and we deserve some fun with how this season's gone.

Great game for Yunel Escobar, a 2 run home and 3 doubles, 5 RBI, 2 runs and 10 total bases for Yunel. Adan Lind went 2 for 4, with a nice walk against a LOOGY in the 9th. Kelly Johnson was also 2 for 4. Everyone in the starting lineup hit had a hit, except for Mike McCoy (but he did score 2 runs) and Moises Sierra (0 for 3, 2 k). We got a much needed run in the 8th on a squeeze bunt by Jeff Mathis, scoring Yunel.

J.A. Happ didn't have a great start. He apparently was favoring a sore ankle, which, I'm sure, had something to do with the 5 walks he gave up in 5 innings. He allowed 4 hits, 4 earned with 6 strikeouts, pitching into and out of trouble most of the game. His big moment was in the 4th, loading the bases, with 1 out, and then striking out Nick Swisher and Robinson Cano.

Our bullpen did a nice job, allowing just 1 run in 4 innings. Steve Delabar pitched 1.2, getting 3 strikeouts. Aaron Loup got the one batter he faced. Brandon Lyon gave up a run in his inning, but then he had some bad luck. A ground ball, by Russell Martin, hit the 3rd base bag and bounced past Adeiny Hechavarria, for a double, scoring Raul Ibanez.

Casey Janssen pitched a quick 9th for his 17th save.

Jays of the Day are Yunel (.486 WPA), Adam Lind (.158), Delabar (.130) and Edwin (.097). McCoy (-.224) and Happ (-.166) had the Suckage number.

The Yankees helped us out by making 3 errors. Derek Jeter booted a Encarnacion grounder in the first. Jayson Nix did the same for Adeiny Hechavarria in the 3rd. And Eric Chavez helped out McCoy in the 9th. For our side, Rajai Davis messed up on a line drive by Curtis Granderson, letting it go over his head, costing us 2 runs in the 3rd, after we had taken a lead in the top of the inning.

Tomorrow the Jays start 4 game series against the Rays, back in Toronto. Matt Moore (10-7, 3.60) gets the start for the Rays, Carlos Villanueva (6-4, 3.30) for the Jays.

There are very few things I enjoy more than beating the Yankees and it is even better taking a series from them.

We had a great time in the GameThread today, thanks to all that joined in.