Carlos Villanueva Named Blue Jay Player of the Month

Carlos Villanueva Mandatory Credit: Jim Cowsert-US PRESSWIRE

The Toronto BBWAA voted Carlos Villanueva the Blue Jay Player of the Month.

Carlos was 4-0 record in his four starts with a 1.93 ERA. Batters hit .183/.272/.329 against him. He ranked 3rd in ERA (min 20IP), opponent's average and T-3rd in wins in the AL for the month. He didn't pitch deep into games, going 6.0, 6.0, 6.1 and 5 innings, in his 4 July starts.

Edwin Encarnacion (.308, 6HR, 17RBI) received the other two first place votes. J.P. Arencibia (.321, 6HR, 13 RBI), & LHP Darren Oliver (0.87 ERA) also got votes.

I think I would have voted for Edwin, since he had a .308/.461/.615 batting line, with 6 home runs, 17 RBI, 21 walks and 12 strikeouts. It is pretty tough to beat a slash line like that in 23 innings of pitching. 4 wins is nice and all, but I like EE's month better.

JP did alright too, .321/.345/.736 with 6 home runs and 13 RBI.

We have our own vote coming up soon, we can see if BBBers agree with the writers.