Brett Lawrie Left Blue Jays-Athletics Game With Apparent Right Rib Cage Injury

Jul 31, 2012; Seattle, WA, USA; Toronto Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie (13) hits a 2 RBI double against the Seattle Mariners during the 3rd inning at Safeco Field. Mandatory Credit: Steven Bisig-US PRESSWIRE

Toronto Blue Jays' third baseman Brett Lawrie was taken out in the first inning of tonight's game against the Oakland Athletics with an apparent injury to his right rib cage. It appeared that the injury may have been aggravated on a swing that resulted in a foul ball. Lawrie struck out on a called strike on the subsequent pitch.

Omar Vizquel was the defensive replacement for Lawrie and remained in the game, going 1-for-4.

Lawrie was later seen in the dugout embracing catcher Jeff Mathis after Mathis had hit a game-tying three-run home run in the top of the 9th inning. The brohug did not appear to have caused Lawrie any physical pain. It is likely that Lawrie's status will be monitored day-to-day.