Colby Rasmus Pulled From Blue Jays-Athletics Game, Possible Groin Injury

August 2, 2012; Oakland, CA, USA; Toronto Blue Jays center fielder Colby Rasmus (28) bunts the ball against the Oakland Athletics during the first inning at O.co Coliseum. Mandatory Credit: Kelley L Cox-US PRESSWIRE

After doubling in the top of the 12th inning in tonight's game, Blue Jays' centre fielder Colby Rasmus was slow to run out to his position in the bottom half of the inning, and was subsequently pulled from the game by manager John Farrell. In his place, Anthony Gose was sent to play centre field, Rajai Davis shifted from left to right field, Yan Gomes went from first base to left field, and Edwin Encarnacion went from designated hitter to first base.

Rasmus returned to the bench, and pointed to first base coach Torey Lovullo's groin area, indicating a possible groin injury, as Lovullo's fly appeared to be in the zipped position. He was later seen to have gone into the clubhouse with trainer George Poulis.

Anthony Gose had played one other game in centre field in the Major Leagues; he was primarily a centre fielder in the Minors.

Because of an earlier injury to Brett Lawrie, the Blue Jays had no bench players left and were forced to play its designated hitter on the field.

Rasmus will be monitored day-to-day.

SB Nation Featured Video