Jays Lose in 15 Innings: Brett Lawrie and Colby Rasmus Leave Game With Injuries

SEATTLE, WA - AUGUST 01: Relief pitcher Brad Lincoln #49 of the Toronto Blue Jays pitches against the Seattle Mariners at Safeco Field on August 1, 2012 in Seattle, Washington. The Mariners defeated the Jays 5-3. (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 4 A's 5 (15 innings)

It is late, so we aren't going to have a real recap. That was a fun game, even if we lost. Some quick points:

  • Brett Lawrie left the game in the first inning with some sort of injury to his side.
  • Colby Rasmus left the game, I think in the 13th, with what looked to be a groin or leg injury.
  • Brett Cecil wasn't good, he gave up 9 hits, 4 earned, 1 walk, 1 k, 2 home runs in 5 innings.
  • The bullpen did a good job, giving up 9 scoreless innings before the A's scored with 1 out in the 15th.
  • Jeff Mathis hit a game tying 3 run homer in the 9th, on a full count pitch.
  • Omar Vizquel was thrown out trying to score from first on a Colby Rasmus double. Man is he slow, but you had to give it a try.
  • Rajai Davis was picked off 1st in the 13th.
  • With the injuries and Moises Sierra used as a pinch runner in the 9th, we had to move Edwin from DH to first base. Aaron Loup became the first Blue Jay pitcher to hit in an AL game in the history of the team. (h/t Minor Leaguer). He ground out.
  • We used a 5 man infield, with Rajai coming in from the outfield to play third base (or around third base), in the 10th with the bases loaded and 1 out. Brad Lincoln got a strikeout so we didn't have to see the infield at work and he got a ground out to end the inning.
  • Jays of the Day: Lincoln (.435 WPA), Mathis (.223), Janssen (.131) and Edwin (.131).
  • Suckage: Cecil (-.227), Loup (-.173), Johnson (-.263, 1 for 6), Gomes (-.243, 0 for 3), Davis (-.201, 1 for 5, picked off), Gose (-.187, 0 for 6, 3 k).

.Tomorrow we try, once again, to end the losing streak. 4:00 Eastern start. Ricky Romero vs. A.J. Griffin. I hope Lawrie and Rasmus are ok, if they have to sit tomorrow we'll be down to 1 guy on the bench.