FanPost

August 4th - Blue Jays MiLB Recap

Thought I'd write up a little recap of the minor league action from yesterdays games in our system. Starting off at the bottom in the GCL (DSL was postponed due to rain and I probably would not have done them anyways because in reality, who actually knows any of those guys?)

GCL Pirates defeated the GCL Blue Jays by a score of 5-1.

2011 IFA signee Yeyfry Del Rosario started on the mound for the GCL Blue Jays, going four innings, while giving up two runs on three hits whilst striking out 6 batters. Youtube star and 2012 Toronto Blue Jays 17th round draft pick Shane Dawson came on in relief and went four innings, giving up just one run on six hits, he struck out four and walked one. Francisco Gracesqui was the last pitcher today to work for the Blue Jays, he had a little bump in the road of his good season (1.73 ERA, 35 SO in 26 innings) as he went one inning, giving up two hits (one being a homerun), he did strikeout two batters also.

On the offensive side, as you would see by the score of the game, it was a pretty quiet night for the GCL Blue Jays batters. 2012 1st rounder D.J. Davis, IFA signees Jesus Gonzalez and Gabriel Cenas were the only ones with hits in this one. Jesus Gonzalez had the lone XBH (a double, his 6th on the year). Jesus Gonzalez also reached base via base on balls, Emilio Guerrero, Nathan DeSouza, and Trey Pascazi did the same. The '1.3 Million Dollar Man' Shortstop Dawel Lugo went 0-4 with 2 Ks.

In the Appy League, the Bluefield Blue Jays edged the Bristol White Sox to a score of 8-7.

On the mound for the Blue Jays was 2011 2nd rounder and southpaw Daniel Norris. Daniel went just three and one thirds of an inning, giving up seven runs on nine hits, BB/K ratio of 1-2 and served up a wild pitch, tough to see him struggle, although he's still a terrific prospect. Tucker Jensen came on in relief and shut the door, going two and two thirds innings scoreless, giving up three hits, he walked none and struck out two. Griffin Murphy came in after and had a scoreless inning, he had zero hits against, walked one and struck out one, he has had a very good season with Bluefield thus far in small sample size. Undrafted Free Agent this year, Brandon Dorsett was the last man to work for Bluefield and he was credited with his second win on the year, going two innings scoreless, surrendering just one hit while striking out one, his 0.45 ERA in 20 IP look real nice out of Bluefield's bullpen.

Unlike the GCL's Blue Jays, the Bluefield Blue Jays were very active on the sticks on this night, as seven players had multi-hit games, those players were: Jorge Vega-Rosado (2-5, 2B, SO), Dickie Thon (2-3, 2B, RBI, 2 BB, SB), Seth Conner (2-4, 2B, 3 RBI, BB), Santiago Nessy (2-5, 2B, RBI, SO), Nico Taylor (2-5, 2B, SB), Jordan Leyland (2-4, 2B), and Dennis Jones (2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 SO, 2 SB). No I didn't accidentally copy and paste the same line for four guys there, they actually hit that many doubles. The other big names in the lineup were: Dwight Smith, Jr. (1-5, 2B, RBI, SO) and Matthew Dean (0-4, 2 SO).

The Vancouver Canadians defeated the Eugene Emeralds 8-5 in the Northwest League action.

UFA southpaw Kyle Anderson started for Vancouver and got the win, he went five and two thirds innings, allowing four runs on four hits (one was a homerun), whilst walking two and striking out three. Tucker Donahue came in and finished up Anderson's fifth inning of work, and that was it for his outing. Overaged Canadians RP Bryan Longpre followed Donahue and allowed one run, he walked two and sat down one on strikes (he got his first hold on the year in this game). Andrew Sikula served as the Canadians closer tonight and recorded his fourth save on the year as he worked two innings, surrendering one hit, while throwing two 'the chair'.

Art Charles (3-5, 3 2B (!), 4 RBI) and Kellen Sweeney (2-4, 2B, BB, SB) were the only two in the Canadians lineup with multi-hit games. Ian Parmley was the leadoff man and had a good game, he was 1-2, drew three walks, struckout once, and swiped his 11th bag. Former 49th rounder in 2007 Matt Newman went 1-3 with a two bagger. He, Art Charles and Kellen Sweeney were the only ones with XBHs. Ian Parmley, Derrick Chung (also drew 2 BB), and Jorge Flores (had a walk and strikeout) all had singles.

The Lansing Lugnuts defeated the West Michigan Whitecaps in the battle of Michigan by a score of 8-7.

Blake McFarland started for the Lugs and got roughed up as he went four innings giving up four runs on 9 hits (one was a HR), he struck out five Whitecaps batters, he didn't quite get decked, but not a great start by any means. Kramer Champlin came in after and pitched an inning, he gave up three runs on two dingers, he walked one and whiffed two. Shawn Griffith followed and pitched two scoreless innings (1 H, 1 BB, 3 K). Philip Brua got the win in relief as pitched a scoreless inning, gave up two hit and punched out one. The Canadians closer Ajay Meyer got his 30th save, as he pitched a clean 9th and struck out one batter.

Chris Hawkins (2-3, BB), K.C. Hobson (2-4, 2B, BB), Gustavo Pierre (2-5, 2B, 2 SO), and Andy Fermin (2-3, 3B, 2 BB) all had multi-hit games in this one. Michael Crouse had a good game and bad game, the good? He hit a three-run tater, and walked twice, the bad? He struck out and had a throwing error in CF.

Dunedin Blue Jays defeated the Daytona Cubs to a score of 12-5.

28-year old and former 10th rounder in '05 Cody Evans was the starting pitcher for the D-Jays, he went four innings, two hits (one was a tater), two runs, one walk and struck out three. Recently acquired Frank Gailey got the win (somehow) in relief as he pitched three innings, five hits against, two runs, one walk, two strikeouts. Alan Farina pitched a scoreless inning and struck out one. Dustin Antolin finished off the Cubs as he pitched one inning, gave up one run on two hits, and recorded one strikeout.

Jonathan Jones and Jack Murphy were the stars of the on the offensive side. Jonathan Jones went 2-4 with a double, four ribbies, and struckout once. Jack Murphy went 2-4 with a double and two-run tater, three ribeyes. Others with hits in this one were: Kevin Pillar, Jon Talley, Oliver Dominguez, and Jon Berti. Kenny Wilson, Kevin Ahrens, and Marcus Knecht were 0-fers.

New Hampshire Fisher Cats and Akron Aeros were rained out, double header tomorrow, first game scheduled for 12:35

The Las Vegas 51's were defeated by the Albuquerque Isotopes by a score of 6-4.

With players all around being called up to the majors, the 51's starting pitcher was Bobby Korecky he went four innings, giving up three runs on eight hits, he walked one and struck out two. Korecky's opposition tonight was Fernando Nieve, he went five and one thirds innings, giving up four runs on 6 hits AND 6 walks! Chris Jakubauskas followed Korecky and gave up one run in his one inning of work. Evan Crawford was the next man up and he took the loss, he went two innings, allowed one run on four hits (one homer), one walk and one strikeout. Jerry Gil didn't help the team much as he gave up one run in his inning of work also.

Not much positive about the 51's lineup tonight, but if you want something, Jonathan Diaz, Mike McDade, and Tuffy Gosewisch all had multi-hit games. Luke Hughes and Ricardo Nanita each hit a home run.

Wowza, that took awhile to write, I hope it's not a boring read and you guys appreciate it, check out the poll also!