FanPost

August 6th - Blue Jays MiLB Recap

Not a very eventful day in Blue Jay land for baseball, the big leaguers didn't play and New Hampshire, Dunedin and the DSL Jays game was suspended, but I will recap the games that were played today (Bluefield had a doubleheader!).

Las Vegas 51's defeat the Round Rock Express by a score of 4-1.

Sean O'Sullivan started for the 51's and recorded his 12th win on the year, he is 12-5 this year now. Sean went five and two thirds, held the Express to one run on five hits and one walk, struck out just two. Jesse Chavez came on next and got a save of the three inning variety, he had three perfect innings, striking out three batters.

As I said in the earlier MiLB recap this week, the 51's lineup is pretty awful, with Sierra, Gose, Hechavarria, and d'Arnaud all gone, they lose core of their lineup, not much different from the big league team though, sadly. Mike McCoy, Mike McDade, Ricardo Nanita, and Mark Sobolewski all had multi-hit games, Nanita had the games only XBH which was a homerun, a two-run shot in the eighth inning (his fifth on the year). Mike McCoy and Jonathan Diaz each nabbed a base (Diaz was 1-3 with a BB).

Lansing Lugnuts were defeated by the West Michigan Whitecaps in the 3rd of a 4 game series by a score of 6-3.

Justin Nicolino started for the Lugs and he didn't have his greatest start tonight as he went five innings, surrendering four runs (three earned) on six hits, no walks and three strikeouts. Aleson Escalante came on in relief and didn't help much, he pitched two thirds of an inning, giving up one run on no hits but he walked three. Tyler Ybarra came on after and pitched a scoreless inning allowing one hit while striking out one. Ian Kadish was next, he went one inning also, giving up one run on one walk and one hit, he struck out the side. Kramer Champlin was the last to work for the Lugs and he pitched a scoreless inning, striking out one in the process.

On the offensive side for the Lugnuts; Nick Baligod went 2-4 with a walk. 3B Gustavo Pierre had an interesting game as he also went 2-4, with 2 doubles, a strikeout, and two errors in the field (one throwing, one fielding). Catcher Chris Schaeffer was the Lugs best hitter on this night as he also went 2-4, he had a double and he also hit his first homerun on the year. Michael Crouse, Chris Hawkins, K.C. Hobson, Kevin Patterson and Andy Fermin all had hits. Shane Opitz and Chris Peters were a combined 0-4 at SS.

Vancouver Canadians defeated the Tri-City Dust Devils by a score of 5-1.

It was another well pitched game tonight for Vancouver's Javier Avendano as he took to the mound for the Canadians tonight and got his 5th win, he is now 5-1 this year with the Canadians. Javier went six strong innings, giving up just one run on four hits, he walked one and struck out ten! He is pitching to a sub-3 FIP, and sporting a 9+ K/9, perhaps deserving of a promotion? Former London Majors pitcher Zack Breault was the first man to work out of the pen and pitched two perfect innings, he then handed the ball over to Bryan Longpre who pitched one inning giving up one hit and striking out one.

Not much hitting to speak of for the Canadians in this one, Jason Leblebijian (multi-hit game), Kellen Sweeney, and Carlos Ramirez were the only batters with hits. Jorge Flores reached base via base on balls and then stole second (his 8th steal), Dan Klein was the only other to draw a walk.

Bristol White Sox defeated the Bluefield Blue Jays by a score of 6-2. (GAME ONE)

The 57th pick in the 2011 Draft Kevin Comer started this one for Bluefield, he went just four and two thirds innings, surrendering three runs (one earned) on two hits and two walks, he whiffed three.Shane Davis came on in relief and went two and one thirds innings, also surrendering three runs (one earned) on five hits, he walked none and struck out two. To clarify why there was so few earned runs, Jorge Vega-Rosado made two errors playing 2B, both fielding errors, and Dickie Thon made a throwing error playing SS.

Another quiet day for the Bluefield bats, still lots of strikeouts. Jorge Vega-Rosado, Dickie Thon, Seth Conner, and Jordan Leyland were the only Blue Jays with hits. Dickie Thon also got on base via base on balls, along with Jacob Anderson and Jordan Leyland. Dennis Jones stole the only bag for Bluefield after he reached on a fielders choice.

Bluefieldd Blue Jays are defeated by the Bristol White Sox by a score of 9-1. (GAME TWO)

Justin James started this one and went giving up one run on three hits, he struck out five but served up a gopherball in his second inning of work. Colby Broussard came on in relief and got shelled, he pitched two thirds of an inning and gave up five runs on five hits, two walks, and he whiffed one. Joe Spano didn't have a good day either, he also pitched two thirds of an inning, surrendering three runs (two earned) on two hits, three walks and he struck out two batters. Denny Valdez was the final Bluefield pitcher and threw a no hit frame, walked one and struck out two.

The offense was less than spectacular, but I guess they can be excused as this was the second game of a double header. Dickie Thon, Eric Arce, and Christian Frias were the only ones with hits. Matthew Dean was the only batter to draw a walk. Eric Arce provided Bluefields only run in this one with his solo shot in the seventh inning. Dickie Thon stole a bag in this one (his sixth steal), Jacob Anderson committed the only Bluefield error which was a fielding error made in RF.

GCL Blue Jays defeated the GCL Yankees by a score of 6-3.

IFA signee Jairo Labourt was the starter, he had a good start, only allowed one hit, which happened to turn out to be the one run he gave up, a solo homerun in his fourth and last inning of work, he walked two and rung up five. Ryan Borucki came on and got the win in relief (somehow), pitched two innings, three hits, two runs, three strike outs and served up a long one. Brady Dragmire got a hold as he pitched a perfect frame, struck out one. Tim Brechbuehler also got a hold, he pitched a scoreless inning, one hit, two walks, one strikeout. Chuck Ghysels finished it off and got the save by pitching a perfect inning, struck out two.

There was certainly much more offensive output in this game from the Jays farm team than in Bluefield. D.J. Davis went 0-2 but drew two walks (he was the only batter to draw a walk for the GCL Jays) and swiped a bag, also got caught stealing, 17 SB/6 CS. Brian Jeroloman is back in the GCL for some reason, anyways, he went 2-3. Emilio Guerrero went 2-4 with a two bagger, also stole his 3rd bag of the season. Dawel Lugo also went 2-4, he had a triple, two RBI and a SO. 2011 26th rounder Justin Atkinson went 1-3 before being replaced by Will Dupont who went 1-1. Derrick Loveless is hopefully starting to find his stroke, he went 1-4 with a triple.

Well that was it, take a look at the poll, you guys!