J.A. Happ Comes Out the Loser In His First Blue Jay Start.

August 7, 2012; St. Petersburg, FL, USA; Toronto Blue Jays center fielder Colby Rasmus (28) runs around the bases after he hits a solo home run in the fourth inning against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

Blue Jays 1 Rays 4

We just couldn't hit James Shields. 2 hit and a walk against him in 8 innings, with 6 strikeouts. The only offense we got was from a Colby Rasmus home run. Adeiny Hechavarria had the other hit against Shields. Colby singled against Fernandez Rodney in the 9th, to raise us to a total of 3 hits.

J.A. Happ was ok. He kind of got nickled and dimed. There wasn't much hit hard against him but there were a number of seeing eye hits. In all, 7 hits, 4 earned, 1 walk, 5 k in 4.1. We would have liked him to go a little deeper into the game, but 82 pitches was enough, since he hasn't started since July 16th.

Brandon Lyon got the last couple of the 5th inning. Then we got our first look at Chad Jenkins. He pitched the final 3 innings, only allowing 2 hits, with 2 strikeouts. He did have a few hard hit balls, one that ended up in his glove, a great/lucky catch on a line drive up the middle. He did throw strikes, which was nice to see.

Jay of the Day is Colby (.106 WPA, 2 of our 3 hits, plus our only walk of the day). Happ gets Suckage for a -.253.

We had a few first's today. Happ's first start. Hechavarria's first hit, a nice line drive up the middle. Chad Jenkin's first appearance for the Jays and his first strikeout.

I really don't understand why we are playing Rajai Davis over Anthony Gose. Gose should play every day that he is up here. He's the future.

Tomorrow Carlos Villanueva (6-1, 3.19) goes up against the Rays, who have Alex Cobb (5-8, 4.60) starting for them.