The Season Hits a New Low. Jays Lose to Rays.

August 9, 2012; St. Petersburg, FL, USA; Toronto Blue Jays first baseman Edwin Encarnacion (10) reacts after he misses the ground ball in the second inning against the Tampa Bay Rays at Tropicana Field. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

Blue Jays 1 Rays 7

That was one awful game. It is surprising how bad games are when we have no offense. I'd rather score a bunch and have the bullpen blow it, than look this inept at the plate.

The Jays only managed 3 hits. Rajai Davis started off the game with a double and scored, and we had a lead for a whole inning. It lasted until the Rays scored 3 in the 2nd. And that ended any excitement. After Moises Sierra's single to start the 2nd, we made 14 straight outs.

The Jays that got hits were Davis (he was also hit by a pitch), Sierra and David Cooper (double in the 9th). Edwin Encarnacion took 2 walks.

As well as the offense being bad, Henderson Alvarez was equally bad. He gave up 11 hits, 6 runs (4 earned), 3 walks and 2 strikeouts in 4.2 innings.

And our defense was bad, Edwin made an error to start off the 2nd inning, making 2 of the 3 runs scored that inning unearned. Then, in the 6th, Rajai Davis dropped an easy fly ball, for his league leading 8th error in the outfield. He also made a lousy throw in the 2nd, not that I was expecting him to throw the runner out at the plate, but he should have done better.

Rajai Davis had the number for Jay of the Day (.126) but Fangraphs didn't take his defense into account. I really can't give him one for that effort. Suckage goes to Alvarez (-.391) and Yunel Escobar (-.094, 0 for 4).

That loss drops us to 53 and 58, our new low point of the season.

Tomorrow the Jays are back home to start a series with the Yankees. Ricky Romero (8-8, 5.47) gets the start. Freddy Garcia (5-5, 5.00) starts for the Yankees. On a totally unrelated note, I need to get beer before this series starts.

We had fun in the game thread, talking about anything but the game. Thanks to all who took part.