Yunel Escobar Suspended for Three Games

We'll have more after the press conference, but the Blue Jays released this statement:

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS today met with YUNEL ESCOBAR, Major League Baseball and the Major League Players Association and it has been agreed upon that Yunel Escobar will be suspended for three games beginning tonight. The suspension is the result of his decision to display an unacceptable message while participating in a Major League Game.

The salary lost by Yunel Escobar during his suspension will be directed by the Toronto Blue Jays to You Can Play and the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). Yunel will participate in an outreach initiative to help educate society about sensitivity and tolerance to others based on their sexual orientation. His participation will be conducted in consultation with all parties involved. Escobar will also participate in a sensitivity training program in accordance with the Toronto Blue Jays and Major League Baseball.

The Blue Jays want to reaffirm that discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated. The club looks forward to supporting the efforts of You Can Play and GLAAD to help promote education for players and fans alike and to help keep language like this out of the game and society.