A Chance For Omar Vizquel To Tie Babe Ruth's Hits Record - Blue Jays @ Yankees Doubleheader Game 1 - GameThread

BOSTON, MA - SEPTEMBER 9: Omar Vizquel #17 of the Toronto Blue Jays knocks in the go-ahead run with a sacrifice fly in the ninth inning against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park on September 9, 2012 in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

What sweet relief it was to find out at around 6:45 that last night's game had been rained out. Work has been crazy at the office this week and I had completely forgotten that I was responsible for the gamethread!

Today the Toronto Blue Jays are playing two against the New York Yankees for their first doubleheader of 2012 and their 102nd in franchise history. The club has a record of 20-39-42 (winning sweeps-losing sweeps-splits). Let's hope they improve that record today.

Another thing to watch for today is an Omar Vizquel hit. One more hit for Vizquel will tie him with Babe Ruth for 41st place on the all-time hits list with 2873 (Ruth had 2171 fewer at bats than Vizquel has so far). Wouldn't it be sweet for Vizquel to tie and maybe even pass Ruth right at Yankee Stadium? Chances that Vizquel will get at bats has increased since Yunel Escobar's suspension.

The last player to tie Ruth's hit record was Alex Rodriguez, who did it September 3 this year in Tropicana Field. Vizquel's next targets after Ruth are Mell Ott (2876), Frankie Frisch (2880), and Zack Wheat (2884).

This afternoon we will be seeing 22-year old Henderson Alvarez face off against 40-year old Andy Pettitte, who is making his first start coming off of the DL. Pettitte had made 9 starts in his comeback season before fracturing his left ankle on June 27.

2012 - Andy Pettitte 3-3 9 9 0 0 0 0 58.2 49 23 21 7 15 59 3.22 1.09

2012 - Henderson Alvarez 9-12 28 28 1 1 0 0 168.2 196 101 92 26 51 62 4.91 1.46

If you are reading this it means that I didn't get a chance to post the lineups for this game. If someone could do so in the comments, that'd be swell! Thanks!

Here:

Game 1 today will be on SportsnetOne and the Fan590, and of course Rogers Anyplace TV and MLB.TV.

Rules: be respectful and mature, don't post links to illegal broadcasts of this game, and don't post any pictures until after the game.

GO JAYS GO!

and

Good luck Omar!

SB Nation Featured Video