Terrible Start For Ricky Romero: Blue Jays Lose to Rays

TORONTO, CANADA - SEPTEMBER 02: Edwin Encarnacion #10 of the Toronto Blue Jays hits a 2-run home run in the ninth inning during MLB game action against the Tampa Bay Rays on September 2, 2012 at Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

Rays 9 Blue Jays 4

Not much good to say about that one. There goes the little hope that Vorvit Torrealba knew what Ricky Romero was doing wrong. After a good start with Vorvit catching, against the Yankees, Ricky had one of his worst starts of the season. I'd say worst, but he's had a lot of bad starts.

Today Ricky went 1 inning, allowing 8 hits, 7 earned, 1 walk. He made it through the first ok, but in the second he allowed 6 hits and a walk without getting an out. He should have had 1 out, Moises Sierra lost a fly ball in the sun, but still, it wouldn't have changed much.

Chad Jenkins was ok in relief, he got out of the 2nd inning without too much more damage and pitched 5 innings, with 7 hits, 2 earned, 1 walk and 3 strikeouts. I still wouldn't mind seeing him get a start or two before the end of the season. Aaron Laffey pitched the final 3 scoreless innings, 3 hits, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts.

About the only good news from the game is that Edwin Encarnacion hit his 37th home run. He is just 1 behind AL leading Adam Dunn. Edwin had 3 RBI, giving him 95 on the season. He's top 5 in the AL in RBI too. Other than that, we got helped out by some bad Ray defense to get another run. Mike McCoy had our only other extra base hit, a double.

No Jays of the Day today. And only Romero gets a Suckage Award with a -.389.

Tomorrow we start a series against the Baltimore Orioles. J.A. Happ (3-1, 4.58) gets the start. Joe Saunders makes his 2nd start for the O's. His first didn't go wel, he gave up 7 runs in 5.1 innings. The best we can hope for is to be spoilers from here out, so let's do it.

SB Nation Featured Video

In This Article

Teams