Long and Boring and We Lost

This picture would be much more impressive if you could see the chainsaw and flaming torch that he is juggling along with the baseball. He's got quite the act put together, and the way he's played, he really could use a skill to fall back on. (Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 7 Yankees 10

If I had to watch the Yankees play all the time, I wouldn't be a baseball fan, those games were just too long. They did manage to get this one finished in just under 4 hours.

I hope you aren't expecting a detailed recap, but we'll make note of a few things:

  • Aaron Laffey was Aaron Laffey. 3 innings, plus 4 batters, 2 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned, 5 walks, 3 k, 1 home run allowed to Ichiro Suzuki of all people. He wasn't helped by a Kelly Johnson error, but he wasn't good.
  • That guy we traded Travis Snider to get took over for Aaron, with 1 out and none out in the 4th. He loaded the bases and then served one up to Nick Swisher to unload the bases. His line on the day, 1 inning, 2 hits, 3 earned, 1 walk, 1 k, 1 home run.
  • Brett Cecil gave up 2 runs in his inning, but it really wasn't all his fault. To lead off the inning, Brett got Curtis Granderson to pop one up, not far back of 2nd base but Johnson did bother to go after it. Moises Sierra did give it a try but couldn't get there in time. I'm not sure why Kelly didn't think it was his to get. Maybe he's just given into the idea the Yunel catches all the popups. If would have been nice to have someone take charge. Cecil got the next 2 Yankees out, so he could have had a scoreless inning.
  • Jason Frasor had a scoreless inning (lasting roughly 45 minutes). Joel Carreno looked good in the last couple of innings, striking out 5, not that I noticed he was in the game until his second inning of work.
  • On offense, we did alright, 7 runs on 10 hits and 5 walks. We got the tying run to the play in the 8th. 2 on for Adam Lind, against a right-hander, but he popped out. Sierra and Johnson hit home runs. Lind. Gose and Johnson each had a double. Everyone in the starting lineup had a hit except Colby Rasmus.
  • No Jays of the Day. Moises can have honorable mention. Laffey (-.302 WPA) and Lincoln (-.152) get the Suckage awards.

Tomorrow night the Jays are in Tampa Bay for a weekend series against the Rays. Carlos Villanueva (7-5, 3.42) gets to try to prove Alex wrong again. James Shields (14-9, 3.77) starts for the Rays.