It Keeps Getting Worse: Jays Lose to Rays

Blue Jays 5 Rays 11

I hoped that Brandon Morrow could at least give us a good start, but we couldn't even have that. Morrow got staked to a 2 run lead in the first. Brett Lawrie walks, Rajai Davis doubled, Edwin Encarnacion singled in Lawrie and Adam Lind hit a sac fly to make it 2-0.

But Brandon loaded the bases with a single and 2 walks in the bottom of the inning and then walked in a run. Then he gave up a 3 run home run in the bottom of the 2nd to give the Rays the lead. Brandon had a nice quick 3rd inning but gave up a solo homer in the 4th.

We tried to get back into the game in the top of the 5th, scoring 2 runs on a Adam Lind triple. Adam culd have been the tying run, standing there at 3rd but we didn't score. Still down by just a run isn't bad. And our bullpen has been really good, for a moment it seemed like there was a change.

Then Farrell brought Brad Lincoln in. I'm sure Lincoln is a better pitcher than he's shown us so far. He has to be. He was terrible tonight, 6 earned runs, while getting just 2 outs. He gave up 2 home runs. As a Jay, in 24 innings, Lincoln has a 6.75 ERA with 6 home runs allowed. WE went from down by 1 to down by 7 in the space of an inning. That effectively ended the game.

Our offense was pretty good today, 10 hits, 4 of them for extra bases. Everyone in the starting lineup had hit except for Yunel Escobar. Brett and Rajai each went 2 for 4 with a walk. Adam Lind had a triple and drove in 3.

Jays of the Day are Lind (.119 WPA), Lawrie (.118) and Davis (.094). Suckage awards go to Morrow (-.411), Lincoln (-.265) and Escobar (-.119).

Tomorrow we have an afternoon game. Chad Jenkins (0-1, 4.91) gets his first major league start. I am curious to see how he does. Jeremy Hellickson (8-10, 3.31) starts for the Rays.

We have a 5 game losing streak. In those 5 games we have scored 16 runs while allowing 39.