Jays Win One, Finally.

Greg Fiume - Getty Images

Blue Jays 9 Orioles 5

Just when you thought we've never score again, never mind win, we get 9 run and win for the first time since....July was it?

This will be a quick recap a) because it is late and b) because tomorrow morning SB United will be unleashed on the world and I'm not sure that this will be moved over to the new site. It may disappear into the ether.

Anyway, a win for Ricky Romero, after 12 straight losses. Not that we was particularly good, but because he happened to be on the mound when we finally started scoring. He pitched 5 innings, plus 3 batters, giving up 8 hits, 4 earned, 4 walks and 3 strikeouts, pretty lousy numbers. When he was pulled he had loaded the bases with no outs. Brad Lincoln came in to relieve, and I wasn't happy. Lincoln has not been good of late. Lincoln gave up a single scoring a run, but then got a strikeout and gave up a fly, fairly deep to Anthony Gose, who made an amazing throw to get the runner at the plate and get us out of the inning with a 1 run lead. Thank you Gose, without that throw, Ricky would still be winless since June.

Thankfully, J.P. Arencibai hit a grand slam in the 7th to put us well ahead again. It seems like JP has found his swing again, he went 3 for 3, a sac fly, tallying 5 RBI. Home runs became part of our game again. Edwin Encarnacion hit a 2 run homer in the first, an opposite field shot, and Moises Sierra hit a solo home in the 6th. Of our 9 runs, only 2 weren't scored by home run. In the 2nd Sierra single, Vizquel doubled, and JP and Gose brought them home with a sac fly and a single respectively.

Our bullpen did a pretty good job. Lincoln pitched 2 innings, letting 2 of Ricky's runs score, but keeping the Orioles from tying things up. Aaron Loup pitched a perfect 8th. Casey Janssen made the 9th exciting by allowing 3 straight singles to start the 9th, but then getting a double play and a strikeout to end the game. We could have done without the excitement Casey.

Jays of the (second game of the) Day are Lincoln (.244 WPA), JP (.351) and Edwin (.163). Romero gets the suckage award for his -.252 even though he got a W finally.

Omar Vizquel had 2 hits, including a double, tying him with Hall of Famer Mel Ott for 40th on the all-time hit list. Pretty cool.

Tomorrow night Aaron Laffey (3-6, 4.80) goes up against the Orioles. Joe Saunders (2-2. 3.48) starts for the O's.

Yay a win!