Who Doesn't Enjoy A Win Over The Yanks? Friday Sept 27, 2012 Links

City TV

It was a fun game last night. Morrow didn't have his best strikeout stuff, but rather pitched his way to a win. It helps when he has a better offense than we witnessed, like say, in Baltimore yesterday. Of course making the Yanks squirm is about the only thing we have right to look forward to as the season ends. To be honest, I'd rather the Jays be a contender than a spoiler but it really wasn't meant to be this troubled year of 2012.

GAME RECAP LINKS

Blue Jays beat Yankees 6-0 in Yunel Escobar’s first home start since suspension - thestar.com
CP/The Star's take on beating the Yanks.

Jays keep Jeter and Yanks in check, cut New York’s division lead to one - The Globe and Mail
The Globe's take on the Jays win.

Blue Jays’ Brandon Morrow, Brett Lawrie do damage against Yankees | MLB | Sports | National Post
Lott looks at the Jays win over the Yanks.

Yankees' Ivan Nova smacked around in start as Blue Jays beat Bombers 6-0 - NY Daily News
A little more shrill recap of the Jays win. Of note, the EE double was the 87th XBH of the season off of Ivan Nova which is a Yankees record.

JAYS AND MLB LINKS

Josh Reddick Hates Fastballs | FanGraphs Baseball
Colby Rasmus also hates fastballs, too.

Here is the Travis Snider catch everyone is talking about | MLB | Sports | National Post
Moonraker! I thought Rajai's catch was more impressive though despite what the Pittsburgh broadcasters thought.

R.A. Dickey becomes Mets’ first 20-game winner since 1990 | MLB | Sports | National Post
One of the better stories of the season and one of the few shining moments for the Mets this year.

More than 7 years after getting hit in head in debut, Greenberg gets second chance - The Globe and Mail
Adam Greenberg has faced one pitch in the major leagues, a 92 mph fastball that struck him in the head and changed his life. More than seven years later, the Miami Marlins are giving him a second chance

Cleveland Indians fire Manny Acta as Indians manager - thestar.com
Cleveland Joins The Wheel of Manager. Top candidate for the position was one of the Jays Top candidates in 2010, Sandy Alomar.

Bobby Valentine Expects To Be Back Next Year. Ben Cherington Is Already Thinking About His Next Manager Search. The Red Sox Are Fantastic.
From Deadspin (sometimes NSFW) The comedy that is the Boston Red Sox continues. Can pretty much put the blame on ownership for this mess.

This Might Be Our Favorite Headline Typo Of All Time (From Deadspin--sometimes NSFW)
Craig Calcaterra's unfortunate error has already been changed, but let's all enjoy the best headline mistake we've seen in a while.

A's making history with 5 rookie starters - Baseball Nation
Has any team in major-league history ever done what the Oakland Athletics are trying to do? Probably not.

Baseball History - September 28th - National Pastime - Baseball History
1982 At Toronto's Exhibition Stadium, right hander Jim Clancy is perfect until he faces Randy Bush leading off the ninth inning. The Twins designated hitter ruins the bid for perfection with a broken-bat single to right field, and the Blue Jays starter has to settle for a one-hitter beating Minnesota, 3-0.

Although the Twins stake Terry Felton to a 3-0 lead in the night cap of a twin bill, the Blue Jays tie the score knocking out the hard-luck pitcher from his last major league game. The no-decision leaves the 24-year old right hander with a lifetime mark of 0-16, a major league record for most career losses without recording a victory.

1995 A fan takes exception when a Cub reliever gives up two-run, pinch-hit home run to James Mouton giving the Astros a eighth inning 9-7 lead. As the Houston pinch hitter rounds the bases, the 27-year old spectator runs out of the stands and heads toward the mound where he is immediately pinned by Randy Myers, who in addition to his pitching prowess, is well trained in the martial arts.

1997 Toronto's Roger Clemens goes 8.1 innings against his former team, but doesn't get a decision when the Blue Jays score two runs in the bottom of the ninth and beat Boston in a 3-2 come-from-behind victory. The right-hander will finish the season with a 21-7 record, the best winning percentage for a starting pitcher on a team that will finish last /cue sad trombone./