Some Offense Would Be OK: Jays Lose To Orioles.

This was the kind of day we had, Edwin did a nice job, going back on a popup but had it hit his glove and drop to the ground. (Photo by Tom Szczerbowski/Getty Images)

Orioles 4 Blue Jays 0

Well, we weren't no-hit. I guess that's a positive.

That was just an awful game. We didn't get our first base runner until after 2 outs in the 6th, against Joe Saunders. Joe Saunders. We looked terrible against him, hitting soft fly outs most of the game.

We did have a couple of chances to get into the game. In the 6th, we had 2 on and Colby Rasmus at the plate as the potential tying run, but he struck out. In the 7th we loaded the bases, with 1 out, but Moises Sierra struck out and Jeff Mathis popped out. Moises really should have had a walk. He was 3-0 and took a pitch high, off the outside of the plate, but the umpire called it a strike. After that he swung and missed twice. Other than those 2 innings, the Jays seemed like they couldn't get their at bats over quick enough. We only had 3 hits on the day.

I don't understand how you don't have someone on the bench to pinch hit for Mathis. Bases loaded, 2 out and you can't do better than Mathis?

J.A. Happ had a good start, he deserved better. He went 5 innings, 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, 2 walks with 9 k. He wasn't helped by his defense. Moises Sierra lost a ball in the sun for the second day in a row. And Edwin made a bad toss to Happ on a soft grounder. It wasn't an easy play, trying to hit a moving target, but he missed by a lot. With better defense, Happ likely would have pitched deeper into the game.

Brad Lincoln didn't look great in his inning of work. He was helped out by the Orioles bunting with runners on 1st and 2nd, after Brad couldn't find the strike zone on the previous batter. After that a double play got him out of the inning. Steve Delabar pitched a quick 6th.

Brett Cecil, just back with the team. gave up 3 hits, 2 walks and 1 run, pitching the last 2 innings. I don't know that he'll be any better in the pen than he was in the rotation. The second inning was a mistake. Matt Wieters led off and he hits lefties great and RHB Mark Reyonds

No Jays of the Day. I'm going to give honorable mention to Happ, because he deserved better. Suckage goes to Sierra (-.161, plus the error, 0 for 3 with a k), Mathis (-.142, 0 for 3. He did pick a runner off first, helped by a nice tag by Edwin), Yunel (-.117, 0 for 4) and Rasmus (-.095, 0 for 4, k).

Tomorrow Zach Britton (4-1, 4.80) gets to face the Jays. Carlos Vallanueva (7-4, 3.10) starts for the Jays.