Two Out of Four Ain't Bad. Not Good Either

Abelimages - Getty Images

Yankees 9, Blue Jays 6. A good last start of the season for Henderson Alvarez that was ruined by the bullpen imploding in the late innings unlike yesterday.

Till the 6th, it looked like the NYTimes designated lowly Jays were going to take 3 of 4 from the tied for 1st place New York YANKEES when the bullpen happened. Brett Cecil, Brandon Lyon, Steve Delabar, Darren Oliver, and Jason Frasor did most of the damage as the Yankees went from down 5-2 to up 9-5 going into the bottom of the 9th. The bullpen gave up 3 in the 7th, 2 in the 8th and 2 in the 9th.

The game started off well. Rajai Davis singled and EE walked in the 1st. Yunel Escobar doubled Rajai home and Adam Lind hit a sac fly to score EE for a 2-0 Jays lead.

Eric Chavez homered in the 3rd off of Henderson to make it 2-1.

The wheels came off for Phil Hughes in the 5th when he gave up an infield single to Anthony Gose and then Brett Lawrie smashed a two run home run. Three straight two out singles by Yunel, Lind and Moises Sierra scored the 5th run to account for the rest of the Jays runs.

Henderson Alvarez pitched a decent game going 6 innings, 7 hits 2 earned runs, 1 HR and 4Ks and was in line for the win till the bullpen went all CoCo on us.

The Jays made it sort of close in the 9th when they loaded the bases with nobody out against Rafael Soriano, but only scored one run on a Yunel double play.

Jays of the Day: Henderson (.193) and Brett (.157)

Suckage Jays: Steve Delabar (-.322), Darren Oliver (-.165) and Brandon Lyon (-.157)

It is a sucky way to split the series, but a split is a split. The Yanks and O's are tied with three games left. The Jays play the Minnesota Twins, in what can be politely termed as a "Who really cares" series to end the season.

SB Nation Featured Video