Blue Jays Claim LHP Tommy Hottovy, Chad Beck Designated For Assignment

Inverted W much? - Elsa

The Toronto Blue Jays announced that they have claimed left handed reliever Tommy Hottovy from the Texas Rangers. To make room for Hottovy, the recently re-claimed Chad Beck was designated for assignment. By my count this is the Blue Jays' eleventh waiver claim this offseason, which is five more than the New York Yankees, who have made the second-most number of claims.

This is what the press release included:

HOTTOVY, 31, traded to Texas from Kansas City on November 12, appeared in nine games for the Royals last season, recording a 2.89 ERA in 9.1 innings. In 41 games with Omaha in the PCL (AAA) the left-hander posted a 2-2 mark with seven saves and a 2.52 ERA, including 61 strikeouts in 50.0 innings. The 4th round choice of the Red Sox in the 2004 draft has appeared in 17 Major League games with Boston (2011) and Kansas City (2012) posting a 4.05 ERA.

Hottovy is a strike out pitcher, recording 11 K/9 (2.9 BB/9) with AAA Omaha in 2012, and finishing with a 2.52 ERA and 1.160 WHIP over 50 innings. Even though Omaha is in the Pacific Coast League, the old American Association divison experiences more normal offensive numbers than the Pacific division. I haven't seen any video of him but check out that "inverted W" delivery in the cover photo!

Chad Beck was re-claimed from the Pittsburgh Pirates on January 4 and now he will potentially be back on the waiver wire (the Jays can always choose to trade him before placing him on waivers). Do you think Chad Beck will be a gone-again Blue Jay or will he make it through and find himself outrighted to Buffalo?