Blue Jays Sign Henry Blanco

Henry Blanco - Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE

Today's minor move.

The Jays signed catcher Henry Blanco to a $750,000 1-year, non-guaranteed, major league contract.

Blanco is 41. Last season he played 21 games for the Diamondbacks and has a .188 batting average with 1 home run and 7 RBI. His season ended in August when he tore a ligament in his thumb. He has played 921 games in the majors, owns a .227 average with 69 home runs and 284 RBI. He has a pretty good arm, throwing out 43% of base stealers.

I'm taking it for granted that Blanco is an insurance policy against an injury to J.P. Arencibai or Josh Thole in spring training, but I'm not really getting why Blanco, but I guess he's willing to sign a non-guaranteed contract. We'll see what happens, I'd imagine they will continue to look for catching depth.

Guess what? Tommy Hottovy gets designated for assignment. Yeah, I know you are shocked, totally shocked. Who gets DFAed next?