Alan Farina, Blue Jays Minor League Pitcher, Suspended 50 Games After Drug Violation

No picture of Alan Farina was available unfortunately. - Derick E. Hingle-US PRESSWIRE

According to an MLB release, via Alex Seixerio, Toronto Blue Jays minor league pitcher Alan Farina has been suspended 50 games after his second drug-of-abuse violation. There is no evidence that Farina used any performance-enhancing drugs.

Farina, 26, had Tommy John surgery in July 2011 and thus only pitched 24 games with the A-advanced Dunedin Blue Jays of the Florida State League last season. He started the 2012 season on the 60-day disabled list before being outrighted off the 40-man roster on July 3. Only players not on the 40-man roster can be randomly tested for a drug-of-abuse.

There are no details yet on what drug Farina tested positive for. Drugs-of-abuse include: cannabinoids (eg. marijuana), cocaine, LSD, opiates, MDMA, GHB, and phencyclidine.

In 2012, Blue Jays draftee Marcus Stroman a banned stimulant (methylhexaneamine) and recently acquired pitcher Jeremy Jeffress was suspended for 100 games when he was with the Brewers organization after testing positive for marijuana for the third time.

Update

In a conference call this afternoon, general manager Alex Anthopoulos said that Alan Farina was "embarrassed" at the suspension. He likened this situation to the Jeffress' situation, and when asked whether Farina was suspended for marijuana usage, Anthopoulos simply said, "if you read between the lines."