Blue Jays Sign Mark DeRosa

Evan Habeeb-US PRESSWIRE

This is a birthday present?

The Jays have signed infielder Mark DeRosa to a 1-year $750,000 contract with an club option for another at the same price.

DeRosa is 37 and has played 15 seasons in the majors. Last year for the Nationals he hit .188/.300/.247 in 85 at bats. Career he is .270/.340/412 in 1153 games with the Braves, Rangers, Cubs, Indians, Cardinals, Giants and Nationals. He's played every position on the field except center field, catcher and pitcher.

I guess he fills Omar Vizquel's role of 'old guy on the bench who we don't want to see in games'. He is a right-handed batter which Alex Anthopoulos sai he wanted for the 25th man.

To make room the Jay have designated 'best stuff in the system' Sam Dyson for assignment.

I guess he is as good as the next guy to be a bench player. He can fill in anywhere if needed. I'd hope he's not needed too often. His UZR for career numbers are slightly to the negative for the infield spots (-6.1/150 career at 3B, -2.5/150 career at 2B and -0.2/150 career at SS) and to the positive in the outfield (12.3/150 in corner outfield spots).

Not a big deal, I'm not sure he'd me that much more valuable than Mike McCoy, but he's been in the majors for a long time, there is likely a value in that.