2013 Blue Jays Uniform Number Assignments

Sarah Glenn

As I wrote last year in a similar post, I am fascinated with uniform numbers. I would be excited to see what numbers new Blue Jays would wear, and to see old Jays players changing numbers for whatever reason. I am glad that now there is a digital forum where I can share my obsession. Here is a list of all the uniform number changes since last year. Note: none of the incoming coaches have been assigned numbers yet, according to BlueJays.com.

Uniform #
2013
2012

1

Emilio Bonifacio – Newly acquired player, has worn #1 with the Marlins since 2009

Not issued (Luis Valbuena wore it during Spring Training)

2

Ryan Goins – New addition to the 40-man roster, wore #67 in Spring Training 2012.

Kelly Johnson

3

Maicer Izturis – Newly acquired player, has worn #13 with the Angels since 2006.

Adeiny Hechavarria

5

John Gibbons – Manager, wore #5 when he managed the Blue Jays (2004-2008), wore #58 as a coach (2002-2004), wore #8, #35, and #7 as a player with the Mets (1984-1986).

Yunel Escobar

6

A.J. Jimenez – New addition to the 40-man roster, wore #71 in Spring Training 2012.

Jeff Mathis

7

Jose Reyes – Newly acquired player, has worn #7 for his entire career.

Torey Lovullo

8

Anthony Gose – Gave up #43 for R.A. Dickey.

Ben Francisco, Yorvit Torrealba

15

Mike Nickeas - Non-roster invitee, has worn #13 and #4 with the Mets.

Not issued (Travis d'Arnaud wore it during Spring Training)

17

Ryan Langerhans - Non-roster invitee.

Omar Vizquel (and Brett Lawrie for the final game of the season)

20

Ricardo Nanita - Non-roster invitee, wore #33 for the 51s.

Jesse Chavez, Bobby Korecky

22

UPDATED: Henry Blanco. He has worn nine different uniform numbers in his career, but never 22. He last wore #12 with the Diamondbacks.

Don Wakamatsu

30

Josh Thole – Newly acquired player, has worn #30 for his entire career.

David Cooper

31

David Cooper – Gave up #30 for Josh Thole. Has also worn #40 (2011).

Brandon Lyon

32

Esmil Rogers – Newly acquired player, wore #48 with the Rockies (2009-2012), and #32 with the Indians (2012). Note: channel 32 is Sportsnet on Rogers Cable where I live. Hmmmm...

Aaron Laffey

33

Jeremy Jeffress – Newly acquired player, has worn #41 for his entire career.

Carlos Villanueva

34

Ramon Ortiz - Non-roster invitee. Would be fun to see an Ortiz wearing #34 with the Blue Jays...

Joel Carreno

37

Neil Wagner- Non-roster invitee.

Henderson Alvarez

43

R.A. Dickey – Newly acquired player, wore #43 with the Mets, has also worn #51, #45, #41, and #39.

Anthony Gose

45

Claudio Vargas - Non-roster invitee, previously wore #45 with the Nationals and Diamondbacks (2005)

Travis Snider, Shawn Hill

51

Alex Hinshaw- Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Jesse Litsch wore it during Spring Training)

52

Justin Germano- Non-roster invitee.

John Farrell

53

Melky Cabrera – Newly acquired player, has worn #53 since 2009, also has worn #39 and #28.

Bruce Walton

54

Dave Bush - Non-roster invitee, wore #49 for his first tour with Toronto (2004-2005), then #31 with the Brewers, and #47 with the Rangers.

Jason Frasor

55

Josh Johnson – Newly acquired player, has worn #55 for his entire career

Brian Butterfield

56

Mark Buehrle – Newly acquired player, has worn #56 for his entire career

Robert Coello, Ryota Igarashi

57

Juan Perez - Non-roster invitee.

Scott Richmond

58

Luis Jimenez - Non-roster invitee.

Chad Beck

59

Jim Negrych - Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Jim Hoey wore it during Spring Training)

60

UPDATED: Chad Beck - Recently outrighted off the 40-man roster, now a non-roster invitee. Wore #58 last season.

66

Rich Thompson - Non-roster invitee, wore #63 with the Angels (2007-2012) and #54 with the Athletics (2012).

Not issued (Mike McDade wore it during Spring Training)

68

UPDATED: Ryan Schimpf - Non-roster invitee.

Yan Gomes

69

UPDATED: Sean Ochinko - Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Drew Hutchison wore it during Spring Training)

70

UPDATED: Kevin Nolan - Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Chad Jenkins wore it during Spring Training)

73

UPDATED: Lance Zawadzki - Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Carlos Perez wore it during Spring Training)

74

UPDATED: John Stilson - Non-roster invitee.

Not issued (Moises Sierra wore it during Spring Training)

Still unassigned numbers: 16, 19, 21,23, 25, 39, 40, 60, 67, 71, 75-99.

The recently re-acquired Chad Beck may re-claim his old #58 from non-roster invitee Luis Jimenez and #38 may become available with the potential retirement of Darren Oliver.

As for coaches, Pete Walker wore #40 last season as the bullpen coach, so perhaps he'll continue with that number as pitching coach. He wore #41 during his playing days, but that number is currently assigned to first base coach Dwayne Murphy. Will Murphy yield #41 to Pat Hentgen when he re-joins the team as a bullpen coach? He did the first time Hentgen returned to the Blue Jays as a coach, switching to #21 in 2011. New hitting coach Chad Motolla wore #21, and #22 on his two tours with the Blue Jays and #39 as the hitting coach for the Las Vegas 51s last season. New bench coach Demarlo Hale wore #45 last year with the Baltimore Orioles and #35 (Sam Dyson's number) when he was with the Red Sox.

Sources: 2012 Toronto Blue Jays Official Guide, Baseball-Reference.com, BlueJays.com.