Today In Blue Jay History: Jays Trade Corey Koskie

Corey Koskie

On January 6, 2006 the Blue Jays traded Corey Koskie to the Brewers for Brian Wolfe.

J.P. Ricciardi signed Koskie to a fairly big free agent contract the year before. 3 years for $17 million. Koskie was a pretty good Canadian (born in Manitoba) third baseman Then he suffered through a pretty poor, injury filled, 2005 season, hitting just .249/.337/.398 in 97 games.

After the 2005 season, the Jays traded Miguel Batista and Orlando Hudson to the Diamondbacks for Troy Glaus and minor league infielder named Sergio Santos (I wonder what happened to him?). Glaus had 3 years left of a 4 year, $45 million contract. Suddenly we had a glut of third basemen. Koskie, Glaus, Eric Hinske and Shea Hillenbrand all could play the position. Something had to give.

So, Koskie and some money ($7.1 million) went to Milwaukee. Corey was having a better season there, hitting .261/.343/.490 before get a concussion from a fall chasing a pop fly. That ended his career. Brian Wolfe pitched out of our bullpen for parts of 3 seasons, putting up a 3.81 ERA in 72 games.

The off-season before the 2006 season was the last time the Jays added a lot of payroll. Trading for Glaus and signing A.J. Burnett and B.J. Ryan as free agents.

Glaus was pretty good for us, hitting .256/.360/.496 with 58 home runs and 147 RBI over 2 seasons, before asking to being traded to the Cardinals for Scott Rolen. Glaus had foot troubles and wanted off of the turf at Rogers Centre.

We did have a pretty good season, in 2006, finishing 2nd with a 87-75 record, but that was as close as we'd get to the playoffs.