Hall of Fame Disappointment

Jim McIsaac

BBWAA can't find a Hall of Famer with both hands and a compass.

You've all seen the results already. It does bother me that the baseball writers, who, at best, turned a blind eye to the use of PEDs, now are self-righteous enough to think that any one that played in that era should be punished. The writers knew what has happening, and, really, were accomplices in the whole thing. It must be hard for them to look at themselves in the mirror.

Anyway, here is how they voted, the one's with an x won't be on the ballot next year.

Rk YoB Votes %vote WAR
1 Craig Biggio 1st 388 68.2% 62.1
2 Jack Morris 14th 385 67.7% 39.3
3 Jeff Bagwell 3rd 339 59.6% 76.7
4 Mike Piazza 1st 329 57.8% 56.1
5 Tim Raines 6th 297 52.2% 66.2
6 Lee Smith 11th 272 47.8% 27.6
7 Curt Schilling 1st 221 38.8% 76.1
8 Roger Clemens 1st 214 37.6% 133.9
9 Barry Bonds 1st 206 36.2% 158.1
10 Edgar Martinez 4th 204 35.9% 64.4
11 Alan Trammell 12th 191 33.6% 67.1
12 Larry Walker 3rd 123 21.6% 69.7
13 Fred McGriff 4th 118 20.7% 48.2
14 X-Dale Murphy 15th 106 18.6% 42.6
15 Mark McGwire 7th 96 16.9% 58.7
16 Don Mattingly 13th 75 13.2% 39.8
17 Sammy Sosa 1st 71 12.5% 54.8
18 Rafael Palmeiro 3rd 50 8.8% 66.1
19 X-Bernie Williams 2nd 19 3.3% 45.9
20 X-Kenny Lofton 1st 18 3.2% 64.9
21 X-Sandy Alomar 1st 16 2.8% 11.6
22 X-Julio Franco 1st 6 1.1% 39.7
23 X-David Wells 1st 5 0.9% 49.2
24 X-Steve Finley 1st 4 0.7% 40.4
25 X-Shawn Green 1st 2 0.4% 31.4
26 X-Aaron Sele 1st 1 0.2% 17.5
27 X-Mike Stanton 1st 0 0.0% 13.3
28 X-Jeff Cirillo 1st 0 0.0% 32.0
29 X-Jeff Conine 1st 0 0.0% 16.2
30 X-Reggie Sanders 1st 0 0.0% 36.7
31 X-Royce Clayton 1st 0 0.0% 16.4
32 X-Roberto Hernandez 1st 0 0.0% 17.2
33 X-Ryan Klesko 1st 0 0.0% 24.6
34 X-Todd Walker 1st 0 0.0% 8.3
35 X-Rondell White 1st 0 0.0% 25.5
36 X-Jose Mesa 1st 0 0.0% 9.6
37 X-Woody Williams 1st 0 0.0% 28.1
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 1/9/2013.

Oh well, at least they didn't put Jack Morris in. The Players Association wasn't thrilled, here is a statement from their Executive Director Michael Weiner:

"Today’s news that those members of the BBWAA afforded the privilege of casting ballots failed to elect even a single player to the Hall of Fame is unfortunate, if not sad. Those empowered to help the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum document the history of the game failed to recognize the contributions of several Hall of Fame worthy players. To ignore the historic accomplishments of Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens, for example, is hard to justify. Moreover, to penalize players exonerated in legal proceedings -- and others never even implicated -- is simply unfair. The Hall of Fame is supposed to be for the best players to have ever played the game. Several such players were denied access to the Hall today. Hopefully this will be rectified by future voting."

The trouble is that I don't know if there is any way of voting people into the Hall that would get a decent result. Listening to players that are in the Hall, they wouldn't have done a better job. And the writers wouldn't give it up. I kind of like the idea of a handful of experts making the picks. Rob Neyer, Keith Law, Bill James, etc. but again, the writers would never go along with it. Maybe those guys should get together and do an alternative Hall of Fame.

I really would have liked to see Tim Raines get in. Biggio, Bagwell, Piazza...they should have been easy. If you really have to make a point with Bonds and Clemens, why tar those other guys too. Makes me curious about how Greg Maddux will do next year.