Timeline of Blue Jays Coaches, 1977-2013

With the recent departure of Dwayne Murphy and Chad Mottola, I decided to compile a timeline of all the official coaches in Blue Jays franchise history because for some reason I consider that fun. My two main sources are the Blue Jays Media Guide and this page on BlueJays.com.

Note: a limit to this chart is that it does not indicate when a coach is hired or dismissed during a year, for example, the chart shows that Gary Denbo served in 2008, but he was actually fired halfway through the season.

Blue_jays_coaches__medium__medium

Click here for the high resolution version of the chart for you to browse and print out as a poster for your room or something.

Points of interest:

  • The longest-serving coaches in franchise history are John Sullivan (1982-1993), and Brian Butterfield / Bruce Walton (2002-2013).
  • Butterfield and Walton have served under four managers: Carlos Tosca, John Gibbons, Cito Gaston, and John Farrell.
  • Rick Langford is the only coach to have served on three separate stints, one season each time.
  • The Blue Jays have never completely "cleaned house" in removing all their coaches at once. Every single year there has been at least one holdover.
  • 1999 was a complete mess, both with the club and the records in the Media Guide and website. They list only four coaches on the team. Perhaps it's understandable: they fired manager Tim Johnson on March 17 and their third-base coach Sal Butera on April 1. They moved Terry Bevington, who was ticketed to manage in AAA, to take over Butera. Butera was going to manage AAA but then a day before the season he was replaced by Pat Kelly. A check of Toronto Star archives from that year reveal that Jim Lett and Gary Matthews continued as coaches even though the Blue Jays sources say they were not.
  • Actually there might be more errors. Let me know if you find any.