FanPost

OT- Favorite Expos memory

In Tom's recent "How did you become a Jays fan" post, I found interesting how many of the poster over 20 ;0 used to also be Expos fans at some point. So i decide to relive my favorite memory.

There has been some great moments, Cromartie running scared of thunder, El Perfecto, as well as the 1997 Canada Day serie against the Jays. But my favorite memory of a game remains a single at bat, which to me will always maintain why i think baseball is Magic.

September 1993, the Expos were making one of the typical late season push, to finish close. On Sept 17 they were 5 games out of first place, held by the Phillies, and had a 3 game serie againt these same Phillies at the big O. So my girlfriend and I drove down to Montreal, to attend the whole serie. The festivities were a bit somber at first as the day before, Moises Alou was lost to a horrific leg injury....But the stadium was full at 40,000+ for the whole three games. And as awful as the place was, full it was fun.

In game one, in bottom of the 7th with the Phillies up 7-4, with two guys on and one out, the pitcher was due up (NL baseball), so Felipe Alou calls to the bench for a young rookie with a grand total of one major AB, Curtis Pride. Pride would proceed to hit the first pitch for a line drive double to CF, scoring 2- nice first major league hit.... The stadium erupts, with a standing ovation for the rookie... Curtis Pride just stand on 2B, waiting, pretty much unaware of the extent of the reaction- as many of you might know, Pride was deaf. So one of the coach had to go to him to tell him what was happening, and he raised his helmet to the cheer of the 45,000 people in attendance....20 years later i still remember...

the expos would ended winning this game in the 12th inning off Phillies closer Mitch Williams, after he gave a double to Marquis Grissom (doesn't he know to give HR to stop rallies???) to start the inning.. They would end up finishing the year 3 games back of the Phillies, and you guys know what those guys did....