Bob Elliott: Jays interested in Angels' catchers

Hank Conger - USA TODAY Sports

Yeah, I'm slow on this, but over in the Toronto Sun, if you can get past the story about Rob Ford, our friend Bob Elliott tells us that the Blue Jays are showing 'interest in' either Chris Iannetta or Hank Conger.

Like always, if it is in the news, odds are the Jays won't do it, but Toronto does seems to be a halfway house for former Angels' catchers. We had Mike Napoli for a few moments, and Jeff Mathis for a little bit longer. As always, Alex inquires about every player in the baseball.

Last year's stats line for each:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2013 - Chris Iannetta 115 325 40 73 15 0 11 39 68 100 0 1 .225 .358 .372

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2013 - Hank Conger 92 233 23 58 13 1 7 21 17 61 0 1 .249 .310 .403

I've have sort of an irrational dislike for Conger mostly because he has always been rated with a lousy arm in OOTP Baseball. He is one of those catcher that even my teams steal again. In his career Conger has thrown out 22% of base stealers, Iannetta 24%, so really there isn't that big a difference. Conger is 25, Iannetta is 30.

Iannetta has had a pretty good bat for several seasons now, his career OPS is .772. Conger had a breakthrough year at the plate, but didn't hit great before that, and has a .663 OPS.  But then is much younger.

So, if you had the choice, which would you pick: