Mark Buehrle and R.A. Dickey named as American League Gold Glove Award finalists

USA TODAY Sports

This morning, Rawlings announced the Gold Glove Awards finalists on their Twitter page. Two Blue Jays made the list: Mark Buehrle and R.A. Dickey were both named as finalists in the American League pitchers category along with the Tigers' Doug Fister.

Buehrle has won four straight Gold Glove Awards, three in the American League with the White Sox (2008-2011), and one in the National League with the Marlins (2012). Dickey has never won the award, but he was nominated last season, finishing 29 points behind Buehrle. Buehrle is actually the only pitcher to have thrown multiple no-hitters and earn multiple Gold Gloves, for whatever that's worth.

My bets are on Buehrle to win again, and if he does, he would become the first Blue Jays pitcher to ever get the award.

Let's take a look at some of their highlights:

A total of 22 Gold Gloves have been awarded to the Blue Jays:

Tony Fernandez 1986-1989 4
Jesse Barfield 1986-1987 2
Kelly Gruber 1990 1
Roberto Alomar 1991-1995 5
Devon White 1991-1995 5
Shawn Green 1999 1
Orlando Hudson 2005 1
Vernon Wells 2004-2006 3

It was mildly surprising that the defensive work by J.P. Arencibia, Maicer Izturis, and Melky Cabrera was not appreciated by the selection committee. Maybe next year! Seriously, though, I hope that Colby Rasmus and Brett Lawrie (and perhaps the Jays' new catcher and second baseman) will get nominations in 2014.