Rain Rain Go Away Saturday Oct 26, 2013 Links

Someone probably didn't think it was funny. - Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Tonight is game 3 of the world series between two insufferable teams with insufferable fan bases. Almost makes one want to cheer for the weather instead. Oh well, enough editorializing from the weekend links guy. Here are some links including some recollections of decisions past, Big Chin McGoo as an enemy of fun and a look at investing in athletes.

JAYS LINKS

Why Red Sox manager John Farrell isn’t as paranoid as he was with the Blue Jays: Kelly | Toronto Star
In his two years in Toronto, that was Farrell’s M.O. — an enemy of fun.

Blue Jays World Series win 20 years later: Joe Carter recalls he almost didn’t re-sign with Toronto in 1993 | Toronto Star
Then one December morning at his home in Leawood, Kan., Carter woke up to birds chirping after seeing Toronto teammate Devon White and the SkyDome in a dream.

MLB LINKS

Closing time? On using the away closer in extra innings
Comparing the old school and new school approaches.

Sports Media Watch – World Series TV Ratings: Game 2 Overnight Third-Worst Ever
Related World Series TV Ratings: Cards/Sox Game 1 Solid, But Among Lowest Rated Ever World Series TV Ratings: After Decent Opener, Cards/Sox Game 2 Weak

The blackballing of Dick Dietz
Some careers end under mysterious circumstances.

The all-decade team: the ‘00s
A look at the last decade's best and brightest. Note: Only one Jay made it on this team.

For Reference: The Seven Pitchers Selected Ahead of Michael Wacha | FanGraphs Baseball
A comparison of Wacha's draft class

The Clay Buchholz Data We All Could’ve Guessed | FanGraphs Baseball
The Juan Guzman of Boston

Start-up Fantex To Sell Stock In Professional Athletes, Sort Of | FanGraphs Baseball
Seems to be a very bad idea.

TODAY IN POOR MANAGERIAL DECISIONS HISTORY

Baseball History October 26th - National Pastime - Baseball History
2002 When Russ Ortiz, who is tossing a 5-0 shutout, strikes out Garret Anderson to begin the seventh inning of Game 6, the Giants appeared destined to win their first World Series since 1954. The Angels, scoring a total of six times in the seventh and eighth innings, rally from the large deficit and stage the biggest comeback for a team facing elimination in the Fall Classic, beating the Giants, 6-5.