Tom: I really think this is a cool project, go vote.
1916 All-Star Series:
National League Takes Two of Three!
In an epic battle of stars at Chicago's Comiskey Park, the National League's best copped games two and three of a three-game set to overcome an early deficit and capture the first official All-Star series between the two leagues. The opening tilt was a cakewalk for the AL, thanks to the pitching of Walter Johnson, Babe Ruth and Guy Morton, who combined for a four-hit shutout in the 4-0 win.
Game 2 was tight until the seventh when Johnson stumbled and allowed the NL to blow open a 1-1 game with five runs to seal a 6-3 win. The rubber match was equally tight as each team plated two runs through seven before the senior circuit scored two in the eighth to capture the game and series.
Highlights and outstanding players include:
- George Sisler and Shoeless Joe Jackson combining for four of the AL's seven hits in Game 1, and the aforementioned pitching performance by the junior circuit's Big Three.
- Dave Robertson and Rogers Hornsby combining for five hits, four RBIs and eight total bases for the NL in Game 2, and Babe Ruth's three hitless innings to start the contest.
- Robertson and Hornsby starring again in Game 3, highlighted by Hornsby's eighth inning triple off Ruth to decide the game.
- Robertson going 7 for 12 (.583) and scoring four runs in the series.
- Hornsby slugging .727 and driving in four runs in the series.
- Grover Cleveland Alexander pitching to a 2.00 ERA in three appearances.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson hitting .364 with three ribbies in the series.
Cast Your Vote For the 1917 All-Stars!
The Voice of the Fan—YOU—will be heard!
Here is your golden opportunity to cast your vote for the most deserving base ball players to play in the 1917 All-Star Series between the two great leagues, taking place July 13-15 at the spacious Polo Grounds in New York, N.Y.
Voting is taking place right now. The starting players at each position, plus three pitchers, will be selected by YOU, The Fans. The managers will round out the rosters, the games will be played using OOTP 14, and the game account and box score will be posted over at Seamheads.com.
Vote for the 1917 All-Star starters and pitchers here:
Voting will be open until 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time on October 11, 2013.