The Season That Was: Todd Redmond

Todd Redmond - USA TODAY Sports

Todd Redmond (I must have typed Richmond instead of Redmond 20 times this season) was one of several hundred players that the Jays picked up off waivers last year. We weren't very excited about the pickup. I wrote:

It looks like he'll be used as a starter in Buffalo, and give us a little more depth in case of disaster. It's not a very exciting move, but we had our share of exciting moves earlier in the off-season.

Yes, in case of disaster. I think disaster describes 2013 perfectly.

Before 2013, Redmond had pitched a total of 3.1 innings in the majors. In 9 minor league seasons he had a 3.61 ERA in 1212 innings, allowing 304 walks and 1006 strikeouts.

We didn't expect to see him, but it really wasn't like he was awful when we did:

2013 - Todd Redmond 4-3 17 14 0 0 0 0 77.0 70 38 37 13 23 76 4.32 1.21

In Buffalo he pitched 6 games, 5 starts, with a 5.06 ERA, in 26.2 innings, allowing 5 walks with 29 strikeouts.

Fangraphs had Todd at a 0.8 WAR, giving him a value of $3.9 million.

He had a 4.40 FIP and a 4.16 xFIP. He had a .277 BABIP.

Todd struck out 8.88/9 innings, allowed 2.69 walks and 1.52 home runs per 9. He wasn't hit a lot, but when he was he was hit hard. At times, it seemed like he would either get a strikeout or give up a home run.

He gave up line drives 19.3% of the time, ground balls 30.3% and fly balls 50.5%, a pretty extreme fly ball pitchers. 11.8% of the fly balls left the park. A fly ball pitcher, for whom too many of the flies went for home runs. Not a good combination.

A right-hand pitcher, Redmond had much more trouble with RHB (.273/.327/.468) than LHB (.208/.289/.435).

He was much better at home (3-1, 3.02 ERA, batters hit .182/.261/.327 with 4 home runs) than on the road (1-2, 6.12 ERA, batters hit .306/.361/.597). It seems funny that a pitcher that had so much trouble with home runs would be better at Rogers Centre than on the road.

He averaged 4.95 innings per start, not exactly giving the bullpen a break.

By month Redmond:

April: In minors.

May: 0-1, 5.79 ERA, in 2 relief appearances, 4.2 innings. Batters hit .235/.316/.412.

June: Back in the minors.

July: 1-0, 3.42, in 4 starts, 1 relief appearance, 23.2 innings. Batters hit .186/.271/.395.

August: 1-1, 4.88, in 5 starts, 24.0 innings. Batters hit .284/.361/.505.

September: 2-1, in 5 starts, 24.2 innings.  Batters hit .242/.280/.453.

Todd was back and forth to the minors a fair bit. He was first called up May 29th, optioned back June 7. Then back up July 2, when Chien-Ming Wang was DFAed. Optioned again August 2, then back August 11.

His best Game Score was a 71 on September 19th, against the Yankees. He went 7 innings allowing 4 hits, 1 walk, 1 earned, with 7 strikeouts in a 6-2 win. He had two games with 70 scores, his start just before the game above against the Yankees, he got an no decision against the Orioles, allowing 3 hits, 1 earned with 7 strikeouts. And July 28th, against the Astros, getting a no-decision again, 6 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned, 2 walks with 10 strikeouts.

His worst Game Score was a 17, on August 23rd, taking the loss, going 3.1 innings, giving up 8 hits, 8 runs, 3 walks, with 6 strikeouts. His last start of the season wasn't great either, 0.2 innings, 4 hits, 5 runs, 1 walk with 1 strikeout. That got a 24 game score.

It wasn't terrible, as rookies seasons go, but then, most guys have their rookie season before the age of 28. As 5th starters go, he's ok, but I'm hoping the Jays upgrade. Keeping him around, 'in case of a disaster', would be ok, but he'd have Drew Hutchison, Kyle Drabek, Marcus Stroman, Sean Nolin and others battling him for the disaster relief role. We'll see how things go.