FanPost

"We Want Tanaka" campaign

Masahiro_tanaka_toronto_blue_jays_introduce_masa_medium

The following facebook link is to a petition from the fans to the management and ownership of the Toronto Blue Jays to sign Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka of the Rakuten Golden Eagles. Please share this with every fan of the team that you know. Every "like" will count as a single signature on this petition, towards the goal of 1,000,000.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/We-Want-Tanaka/700778943267346

The Blue Jays as a team finished the 2013 season 29th in the league in starters ERA (4.81), 25th in starters WINS (46), 28th in starters IP (899.1), and 26th in starters WAR (6.9). They come into the offseason with a desperate need for at least 1 quality pitcher who is both durable and consistent.

At 25 Tanaka is four years younger than any of the other top pitchers on the market, including Matt Garza (29), Ubaldo Jimenez (29), and Ervin Santana (30). He will not require draft pick compensation like Jimenez and Santana, nor does he have the recent injury history of Garza. It is also arguable that Tanaka has more potential upside than either of the three aforementioned. In sum, he simply makes the most sense to acquire compared to the other free agent and trade candidates.

Campaign Promo Video

Highlight Video

Career Stats

Table4_medium

Scouting Report

    Name: Masahiro Tanaka
    Position: RHP
    Height/Weight: 6-2 205lbs
    Birthdate: November 11, 1988

  • Good frame for a pitcher.
  • Loose and easy on the mound.
  • Shows excellent balance.
  • Stays tall on delivery
  • Deceptive hesitation prior to release typical of many Asian pitchers.
  • Five pitch repertoire, including two types of fastballs (2 seam and 4 seam).
  • Fastball sits 90-94mph, can ramp up to 93-96mph. Excellent lateral movement, particularly to the arm side but lacks ideal plane. Will elevate the pitch to change eyelevel.
  • Swing-and-miss splitter at 84-87mph. Sharp diving action. Flashes plus to plus-plus grades. Best overall pitch.
  • Slider 83-85mph, is above average to plus at times. Sharp break down and away from right handed batters. Good command of the pitch. Can throw for strikes consistently. Heavy usage.
  • Curveball a show-me pitch to get ahead in the count. Only recently added. Loopy at 70 mph. Average to below average.

  • X