Tuesday's Rumors Round Up: Samardzija, Buehrle, Navarro

Dioner Navarro - Brian Kersey

There are a number of rumors around the Jays, nothing that sounds like it is sure to happen, but let's run them down:

  • The Jeff Samardzija stuff hasn't died down much. The last one I heard was the Jays were offering 4 prospects, but no one is saying which 4. I don't think I'd want to loss both Stroman and Sanchez, but I don't see any 4 prospects that would do the job without them. I really want them to loss Stroman. Samardzija will be 29 in January. Over the past two seasons he's made 51 starts, totaling 388 innings, 394 strikeouts, 134 walks and a 4.10 ERA. He won't be a free agent until after the 2015 season.
  • Peter Gammons is suggesting the Jays are shopping Mark Buehrle. I don't believe that, I think, as a starting pitcher that pitches 200 innings, he has more value to the Jays than he would have to any other team.
  • There is a rumor that someone is going to sign Dioner Navarro, as with any free agent catcher, pitcher, middle infielder, it could be with the Jays. Or, it could be with any of half a dozen other teams. Navarro hit .300/.365/.492 in 89 games for the Cubs last year, the best numbers of his 10 year career. He had 13 home runs, his first time in the double digits. He's not thought of as a very good defensive catcher, but he couldn't be much worse than JP. He has good timing, hitting .300 for the first time just before going on the free agent market. Someone will likely be overpaying for him, I don't know that it should be the Jays.