Free Agent Catchers: Who might the Jays want?

Brian McCann - USA TODAY Sports

While we are waiting to hear if the Jays are going to make a qualifying offer to Josh Johnson, when you know they will wait for the 5:00 Eastern deadline (or, as likely, wait until I am away from the computer this afternoon, the Jays have this habit of releasing news when I am as far as I can possibly from the computer).

While waiting, over at MLB Trade Rumors, Tim Dierkes has his top 50 Free Agents list, with predictions of where they will land. The only one that he figures the Jays to sign is Ubaldo Jimenez, who I'd be pretty happy to have. Let's looks at some of the one that the Jays might be interested in. We can start with catchers today.

Catchers:

Brian McCann: He's number 4 on the list and the Braves are going to give him a QO, which should limit the number of teams that "would be interested and might keep his price from getting too high. I'd like the Jays to take a look. Dierkes says with a five-year term expected, an American League team makes more sense to allow for increasing time at designated hitter as the contract winds down."

Jarrod Saltalamacchia: He's number 15 on the list. The Red Sox aren't giving him a QO, which means that more teams will be inquiring about him, his price might be higher. I'm not the biggest fan, but he'd be an upgrade on JP.

Carlos Ruiz: He's number 29 on the list. He'll be 35 in January and is coming off a down year with the bat, hitting .268/.320/.368. He'd only be getting a two-year deal, which might work out with Jimenez close to being ready. He's make a good 'mentor' for AJ.

A.J. Pierzynski: Number 33 on the list. I'm not a big fan. He is 37 in a couple of months. He hit .272/.297/.425 this year. I would hate to have to cheer for him.

What do you think, do the Jays sign any off these?