Baseball America's Top 10 Blue Jays Prospects

Marcus Stroman - Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

We are deep in prospecting season.

Baseball America posted their Blue Jays Top 10 Prospects this morning.

Here are their picks:

  1. Aaron Sanchez
  2. Marcus Stroman
  3. D.J. Davis
  4. Mitch Nay
  5. Franklin Barreto
  6. Daniel Norris
  7. Roberto Osuna
  8. Alberto Tirado
  9. Dawel Lugo
  10. Sean Nolin

They had this to say:

The farm system still has high-ceiling arms, but after the wave of trades the talent is concentrated at the lower levels of the organization. The trades left the upper minors short on prospects and long in the tooth. The pitching staffs for Triple-A Buffalo, high Class A Dunedin and short-season Vancouver were the oldest in their leagues.

Nothing we didn't know, our best prospects are in the lower levels, a bunch of guys building up their trade value.

The current regime continues to invest in building pitching depth. In the past four drafts, Toronto has used 74 percent of its top-five-round picks on arms, versus a league-wide average of 49.7 percent. Toronto will have two-first round picks, Nos. 9 and 11, in the 2014 draft after failing to sign Bickford.

With how much is being spent on free agent pitchers, this off-season, drafting pitchers seems like a smart move, though I wouldn't mind seeing a few more hitters, but when Boone Logan can get $16.5 million over 3 years, growing your own seems like a smart more.

Their best tools list is the interesting part, here are a few of them:

Best Hitter for Average: Kevin Pillar

Best Power Hitter: Rowdy Tellez

Fastest Baserunner and Best Athlete: D.J. Davis

Best Fastball and Best Curveball: Aaron Sanchez

Best Slider: Marcus Stroman

Best Control: Roberto Osuna

Their list of Top Players under 25 puts Sanchez and Stroman above Brett Lawrie, which seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

They also list the Jays top draft picks of the last decade, a very sad list., so I won't share it here...click the link to see.

It is nice to see that was still have some talent in the minors, even if most of it is in the lower levels. We'll wait until January to put our list together.