Jared Goedert signs minor league deal with Blue Jays

USA TODAY Sports

According to Jon Morosi, the Blue Jays have agreed to a minor league deal with former Pittsburgh Pirates minor leaguer Jared Goedert and have invited him to attend big league spring training. Goedert, 28, is a utility player who has spent the majority of last season--and his career--at third base, but has logged some time in the corner outfield positions as well as first and second base.

Goedert, a righty, was picked in the ninth round of the 2006 draft by the Cleveland Indians out of Kansas State and has been meandering the minor leagues since then, taking four seasons to make it to triple-A. He left the Indians organization after 2012 to sign on with the Pirates as a non-roster invitee, and played 130 games with the triple-A Indianapolis Indians (confusingly a Pirates, not an Indians, affiliate) where he hit .241/.316/.390 with 11 homers and 32 doubles.

Unless he breaks out in spring training, or even if he does that, Goedert is likely to begin the 2014 season with the Buffalo Bisons

UPDATE

It's now official. A Bisons release tells us that Goedert and Tomo Ohka has officially signed minor league deals with the Blue Jays with an invitation to major league spring training. Reliever Bobby Korecky has also re-signed with the club, but his invitation was lost in the mail.