Blue Jays sign Steve Tolleson as a non-roster invitee

Steven Bisig-US PRESSWIRE

A day after inking Jared Goedert, the Blue Jays signed utility player Steve Tolleson to a minor league contract with an invitation to big league spring training. Tolleson, 26, is not related to Dodgers reliever Shawn Tolleson but he is the son of former Ranger and Yankee infielder Wayne Tolleson.

Steve Tolleson was the Twins' fifth round pick in 2005 and made his major league debut with the Oakland Athletics against the Rays in April 28, 2010 and collected his first career hit two days later against the Blue Jays, singling against Josh Roenicke. The righy hit .225/.273/.350 in 54 major league games in 2010 and 2012. Tolleson had a career moment on June 10, 2012 with the Orioles when he slammed a game-tying three-run homer off of Cliff Lee to help the Orioles in a  5-4 win.

Since 2009 he has played mostly in triple-A with Rochester, Sacramento, Tucson, Norfolk, and most recently Charlotte. It is likely that he will spend most of 2014 with Buffalo. In the minors, he has logged the most time playing the middle infield positions, with some times spent at third base and left field.

Tolleson is out of options.