Blue Jays Tried To Trade Sergio Santos to Texas Rangers

Andy King

Some news emerged a short time ago that the Blue Jays and Rangers agreed to a trade that would have sent relief pitcher Sergio Santos to the Texas Rangers, but another player involved failed a physical essentially killing the deal.

The news was tweeted out by Jon Morsi who is at the Winter Meetings in Florida:

Santos came to Toronto almost exactly two years ago in a trade with the Chicago White Sox, who received Nestor Molina from the Blue Jays. Santos has shown flashes of brilliance, but has been injured way too often to be a dependable piece of the team. Shoulder surgery in 2012 limited the Los Angeles native to six appearances with five earned runs allowed in as many innings. This past season was only slightly better, with elbow surgery during the year causing Santos to only appear in 29 games ending with a 1.75 ERA.

The 30-year-old is downright filthy when healthy and his slider is one of the best in the league. He's owed $3.75 million in 2014 and then has three team option years after that worth between $6 million and $8.75 million (all with $750K buyouts).

There may be more to this story as the night goes on.