Red Sox Trade for Mike Carp

Mike Carp - Mike DiNovo-US PRESSWIRE

Red Sox get another Carppy player.

Here is the story from the SB Nation news desk. I don't see him as that exciting a player.

The race to work out a trade for Seattle Mariners' corner infielder and outfielder Mike Carp is over, and the Red Sox have come out on top, reports Alex Speier of WEEI.

Boston has acquired the 26-year-old in exchange for a player to be named later or cash.

The Red Sox were believed to be competing with a few clubs for Carp -- including the Twins and Astros -- which could have complicated Boston's pursuit of the potential platoon player. Both clubs finished with a worse record than the Red Sox last season, so if either had actually put in a waiver claim for him then Boston's chances of making a trade with Seattle would have been shot.

Carp, 26, had a not-so-great injury-plauged season for the Mariners in 2012, but is a solid .255/.327/.413 hitter with 18 home runs in 608 career plate appearances over four big-league seasons. Carp actually has a bit of a reverse platoon split in his time with the Mariners, but small sample size issues abound there.

The left-handed hitter is a prime candidate to platoon with Mike Napoli at first base and Jonny Gomes in left for the Sox, so it's now just a matter of whether he can put on a better show in camp that non-roster invitee Lyle Overbay.

This story was originally published at MLB Daily Dish.