Blue Jays trade for Michael Schwimer

Daniel Shirey-US PRESSWIRE

I'm a bit slow on this, but the Jays have traded for Phillies right-handed reliever Michael Schwimer. We gave up power-hitting, minor league first baseman Art Charles. I kind of liked Charles, I saw him hit a long home run in Vancouver but he was a little old for the level, not really a prospect.

Schwimer is 27, played in 35 games for the Phillies, last year, with a 4.46 ERA. He's a big guy, 6'8", 240 lb. He has a loe-90's fastball and good slider. He gets strikeouts, 11.8/9 innings in the minors. He has a 2.12 ERA in 3 Triple-A seasons. He should have an option left. Gotta like skrike outs.

To make room the Jays have put Luis Perez on the 60-day DL. I imagine that we will be hearing about more guys going on the 60-day DL soon.

At 6'8" , he can play center for our pick up basketball team.