Blue Jays Claim Lars Anderson

Lars - Elsa

Minor moves keep happening.

The Blue Jays have claimed Lars Anderson off waivers from the White Sox, I was hoping they might.

Lars was a top prospect in the Red Sox organization for a number of years, but hasn't made the jump to the majors. He was Baseball America's 40th best prospect before the 2008 season, moved up to 17th in 2009 then dropped to 87th the next year. In 6 minor league seasons, he has hit .272/.369/.432. He never developed the power that many expected.

He's only had 48 at bats, over 3 seasons, in the majors, all with the Red Sox. His line is just .167/.268/.188, but small size and all.

With David Cooper's back injury, the Jays could us another first baseman in Buffalo and it helps the depth at first and DH. Lars is a big (6'4") left-handed batter.

To make room, the Jays have put Kyle Drabek on the 60-day DL.