Does Maicer Izturis Have a Promise to Play Second Base?

Izturis - Mike DiNovo-US PRESSWIRE

In Gregor Chisholm's mail bag, there was a question about who would be the second baseman this year, Maicer Izturis or Emilio Bonifacio. This was in his answer:

Izturis enters Spring Training as the front-runner after signing a three-year contract during the offseason. It appears as though he received some sort of promise from the organization before agreeing to the deal, and he'll begin the Grapefruit League season with a leg up in the competition.

So I'm wondering, do you think this is true? I had thought that Alex Anthopoulos had said, after the signing, that Izturis could either be second baseman or a backup at the middle infield spots. In fact, here is the quote from Alex's phone press conference about the signing:

Maicer Izturis is the "leading candidate" for second base, but if something comes up, the Blue Jays will look to improve the position.

I trust Alex not to outright lie to the press, but then I am sure that Gregor wouldn't say something like that without knowing it for a fact, so I don't know what to believe.

I don't see Izturis as someone that deserves a promise like that, but then Alex as apparently made promises like that when signing free Agents before. But then, if you are signing someone to a 3-year deal, I can't see how you make him a promise like that. Or was the promise just about 2013?

I do have the feeling, but it's just a feeling, that Izturis was the team's favorite for the second base job but I thought that a good spring training from Emilio could change their minds.

I don't know who I'd rather have. I do think it would be fun to have Bonifacio batting 9th with Jose Reyes leading off. That sort of speed, back-to-back, could be interesting. But it is possible, considering we should have a pretty good lineup, the Jays feel they would be better served with Izturis' superior glove.

So here is the question for you, who will see more time at second base this season, Maicer Izturis or Emilio Bonifacio?

Just noticed that SuckaMD (who truly need a new screen name) plowed the same field earlier today in a fanpost.

In This Article

Teams