Blue Jays Spring Training: Battle for the Bullpen, One Week In

Sergio Santos - Derick Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

March 1, one month away from real baseball (actually a month and a day until our home opener).

We've had 7 spring games, I thought we'd take an early look at the battle for the bullpen. It's early, but we'll take a look again in a week's time.

Off the top, Casey Janssen hasn't pitched and he might not be ready for opening day, though Alex Anthopoulos just said, on MLB radio, that he will likely be ready.

Sergio Santos: We saw him yesterday, on FX radio, and he looked great. He's pitched 2 innings, given up 1 hit and has 1 strikeout. It is early, but he's looking good.

The Lefties:

Darren Oliver: It really doesn't matter how he pitches, he's on the team, he can work on stuff. He's pitched 1 inning, gave up 2 hits, no runs, 1 strikeout. He's due to pitch today.

Brett Cecil: Another guy we saw on TV yesterday (if Sportsnet can show every Yankee game, why can't they show us more Blue Jay games? And why farm out games to FX?) Brett hit 91 on the radar gun, not bad so early, but he's been hit a bit. He's pitched 3 innings, over 2 games, and allowed 5 hits, no runs, with 2 strikeouts. He's throwing strikes. In spring, he'll be facing lefties and righties, but, in the season, he'll be facing mostly LHB. With no options left, as long as he doesn't get blown up too badly, he'll get a spot in the pen.

Aaron Loup: Another one we saw on TV. He looked good. He's pitched twice, 2 innings, 0 hits, 1 k. Since he has options, he needs someone to have a bad spring, or an injury, to make the team.

J.A. Happ: Unless something unforeseen happens, he'll be a starter in Buffalo, but let's have him on the list. He's pitched twice, 1 start and yesterday he threw just 1 inning in relief, which surprised me. I figured he'd do at least 2 again. He looked good yesterday. In total, 3 innings, 3 hits, 2 k and one hit batter.

Alex Hinshaw: Will be in Buffalo. Has pitched 2 innings, no hits but 2 walks and a hit batter.

Evan Crawford: Pitched one clean inning.

The Righties:

Steve Delabar: Pitched twice and he hasn't looked good. 1.2 innings, 4 hits, 1 home run, 1 k, 3 earned runs. Was 94 on the radar. It's early, I'm not going to worry, yet

Esmil Rogers: 2 games, 3 hits, 1 earned, 1 walk, 2 k. He hasn't been lights out but it is early.

Jeremy Jeffress: Another one that is out of options, but he's going to have to show something to make the team, though, if Janssen starts the season on the DL, there is an extra spot. He hasn't shown anything good yet. 2 innings, 4 hits, 3 earned, home run, k.

Brad Lincoln: Penciled into the rotation in Buffalo, but if Casey starts on the DL, there is a open spot for someone. He's pitched twice, started once. It hasn't gone well, 1.2, 5 hits, 4 earned, 2 walks.

Michael Schwimer: Just picked up this week. Has options left, so likely will start in Buffalo. Pitched 1 inning. gave up a walk and got a strikeout.

Ryan Thompson: Our Australian. He's pitched 2 innings, gave up 2 hits, 2 walks, 1 k, no runs. Not that it matters, but he has a spring save.

Chad Beck: 3 games, 3 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned, 4 strikeouts. Anther that will be in Buffalo unless something goes wrong.

Justin Germano: 2 games, 4 innings, 2 hits, 6 strikeouts. He'll be in the rotation at Buffalo, but the 6 strikeouts looks good.

Neil Wagner: 2 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk, 1 k. Another that's likely to be in Buffalo.

Ramon Ortiz: 2 innings, 2 hits, 1 earned, 3 walks, 1 k.

Tommy Hottovy: 1.2, 5 hits, 1 earned, 4 k.

Dave Bush: 3.0 innings, 1 hit, 1 home runs, 2 earned, 2 walks, 2 k.

Chad Jenkins: 1 inning, 3 hits, 1 earned, 2 k. No real chance he'll make the team out of spring, but he'll want to make an impression on the new coaches.

By next Friday some of these guys will be sent off to the minor league camp, so we'll have a clearer view of who will be making the team.