Spring Training 2013: The Second Base Battle, Two Weeks In

Maicer Izturis - USA TODAY Sports

We looked at the battle for second base a week ago, lets see how things are going now.

The Jays have a day off from game action. Let's take a second look at how the battle for second is going.

We are 15 games into the spring schedule (just 3 weeks and a day until the Blue Jay home opener). Both Maicer Izturis and Emilio Bonifacio have had a fair bit of time at second base (though Emilio has has more of the playing time there) and also at short. Emilio hasn't been used in the outfield yet, but I think the Jays are more interested in evaluating him at second base, for now. I don't think he'll forget how to play the outfield, if he doesn't get time there this spring.

Emilio Bonifacio:

Year Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB
2013 28 11 32 31 6 9 2 1 1 4 4 0 1 6 .290 .313 .516 .829 16
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 3/11/2013.

Emilio also has 4 errors,I know at least one of them was a short. He has made some good plays at second base as well. I don't think I want to see him play short during the season. He does't seem to have the arm for it. I don't think he'll be great at 2B but he does seem to have the range.

Maicer Izturis:

Year Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB
2013 32 9 27 25 2 4 1 0 0 1 0 1 2 3 .160 .222 .200 .422 5
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 3/11/2013.

Izturis has started to hit, in the last few days. We knew he would. With Jose Reyes off at the WBC, Izturis has played more SS than second. He looks the better there than Bonifacio does. He's likely the better defensive choice at 2B too. As much as we knew he would start hitting, it is nice to see. He'd also be my favored choice to fill in at third, if/when Brett Lawrie hits the DL, but Gibbons seems to prefer DeRosa.

DeRosa is having a nice spring:

Year Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB
2013 38 8 19 17 1 8 1 0 1 4 0 0 2 5 .471 .526 .706 1.232 12
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 3/11/2013.

Which is good to see, not that I think he'll hit anything like that this season.

Anyway, have you any new thoughts on who you'd like to see play second this season?