Quick Recap: Jays Thump Yankees

Jose Bautista from today's game. - USA TODAY Sports

Yankees 5 Blue Jays 17

We know how to take a walk. To be fair, sometimes it is hard to avoid taking a walk. The Jays score 15 runs over the first two innings, taking 9 walks along the way. Yankee pitchers Jose Ramirez (who gave up 2 hits, 4 walks and 6 earned, while recording just 1 out) and Adam Warren (4 hits, 5 walk, 8 earned in 1.1) had their issues.

On our side, Josh Johnson had a pretty nice start, 3.0, 2 hits, 5 strikeouts and a home run allowed to Kevin Youkilis, the only run allowed. He did throw a bunch of pitches, 58 in 3 innings. A few more pitches than you'd like to see, but then he was getting strikeouts. Spring ERA 1.69.

Brett Cecil also had a nice appearance. 2.2 innings, just 1 hit and 1 walk, 3 strikeouts. He now has 12 strikeouts in 10 spring innings. His spring ERA is 6.30.

Esmil Rogers had a rough time. 1.1, 4 hits (2 doubles and triple), 3 earned, 2 strikeouts. 11.37 spring ERA.

Other pitchers:

It was a good day to be a Blue Jay hitter, 13 hits, 10 walks. Mark DeRosa had a home run.

  • Maicer Izturis: 2 for 3, double, walk, 5 RBI. .194. He's bringing his average up quickly.
  • Colby Rasmus: 0 for 2, 3 walks, 1 k. .125.
  • Melky Cabrera: 3 for 3, 2 doubles, 4 RBI. .361.
  • Jose Bautista: 2 for 4, double, 2 RBI, 1 k. .242.
  • Adam Lind: 0 for 3, walk. 1 k. .419. Might be his first game this spring without a hit. He had an error.
  • Mark DeRosa: 3 for 3, 2 RBI, home run. .500.
  • Lance Zawadzki: 1 for 2, k. .320.
  • Ryan Langerhans: 1 for 2, RBI, 2 walks, k. .321.
  • Henry Blanco: 0 for 2, RBI, 2 walks, k. .286.
  • Josh Thole: 0 for 1. .136.
  • Mike McCoy: 0 for 4, RBI, k. .125. He also had hit 4th error of the spring. A lot for a guy that hasn't played all that much.

Tomorrow the Jays visit the Tigers at their spring home of Lakeland Florida.