Guillermo Moscoso Claimed By The Blue Jays From the Royals

Guillermo Moscoso posing on Photo Day for the Kansas City Royals, who hold their spring training in space apparently. - USA TODAY Sports

So Alex Anthopoulos was not done with waiver claims this season, according to the latest team media release. With an open roster spot, the Toronto Blue Jays general manager claimed righty Guillermo Moscoso from the Kansas City Royals, who had placed the 29-year old Venezuelan on unconditional release waivers back on March 13. Moscoso signed with the Detroit Tigers as an international free agent back in 2003 and has been in the Rangers, Athletics, Rockies, Royals, and now Blue Jays organizations.

He split 2012 between the Colorado Rockies and the AAA Colorado Springs Sky Sox. In 23 games in the majors, he had a sky-high 6.12 ERA over 50 innings, averaging 1.720 walks and hits per inning pitched. His ERA was nearly identical (6.13) down in the high altitudes of Colorado Springs The Sky Sox's home park is the highest professional ballpark in North America at 6,531 feet (nearly 2 km) above sea level.

In three Cactus League games this spring against mostly major leaguers (according to Baseball-Reference's "OppQual" statistic), he pitched in five innings, giving up five runs on seven hits and three walks, striking out four.

Moscoso is not expected to break with the big club this spring and may be ticketed to take a place in the Buffalo Bisons' starting rotation. However, he is out of options and will need to clear waivers to be sent down to the minors.

The roster is now full at 40 players. The release of David Cooper earlier this week opened up room for the team to claim Moscoso.

UPDATE

Moscoso is the 13th player claimed by the Blue Jays this year. Try to name all of them in this Sporcle game!