Happy St. Patrick Jays! 1993 World Series Game 4 + Blue Jays @ Astros Spring Training GameThread

Minor Leaguer

Drink responsibly.

Good morning all! Baseball may not be a particularly Irish tradition but we do have a doozy of a game this morning.

This morning starting at 9 am (all times Eastern) Sportsnet is re-broadcasting Game 4 of the 1993 World Series between the Toronto Blue Jays and the Philadelphia Phillies. This was one of the games that I have always wanted to see, one of the most epic World Series games ever. The game almost didn't start because of rain, and then went back and forth all night and had 29 men cross the plate (it still holds the record for the highest scoring game in World Series history).

The 4:14 nine-inning game featured 11 pitchers, a red chin on Todd Stottlemyre, Paul Molitor starting at third base for the first time in more than three years, 5-RBI game from Milt Thompson (who had 44 during the regular season), Toronto scoring 15 runs with no homers, and the first black home plate umpire during the World Series. With one out in the top of the 8th, the Blue Jays had a 1% win probability, yet they pulled through and ended up with the victory. They had to score six runs with five outs. Just take a look at the win expectancy chart from Baseball-Reference.com and you can see how exciting this game was:

Game4-1993_medium

The game will run until 1 pm, when Sportsnet will be playing their "Dominican Blue Jays" documentary (it is also available online here).

After that feature, turn off your TV (Sportsnet will be showing the Red Sox at Rays) and turn on the radio (or visit bluejays.com) to listen to the Blue Jays face off against the Houston Astros in spring training action. Thanks to commenter A.L., I found out that the game won't be on the Radio as the Raptors will be looking to end the Miami Heat's winning streak.

Then, at 9 pm, turn on the TV to Sportsnet again to watch Puerto Rico play Japan at AT&T Park in World Baseball Classic semi-finals action. The winner of that game will advance to the championship game to be held on Tuesday at 8 pm. Who will you be rooting for in that game?