GameThread: Phillies @ Jays

Brett Cecil from yesterday's game. - USA TODAY Sports

After a long winter with no baseball, we have an embarrassment of riches now. Both Jays games this weekend are on Sportsnet, the World Baseball Classic has started up (presuming one wants to stay up all night watching baseball) and then, this afternoon, Sportsnet is showing Game Two of the 1993 World Series, 3:00 Eastern. The kind of Saturday I love and my wife hates.

If you missed it:

  • Taiwan beat Australia 4-1 at the loudest baseball stadium I've ever seen.
  • Japan beat Brazil 5-3. No Yan Gomes on the Brazil team. I figured he'd be there.
  • Netherlands beat Korea 5-0.

Cuba vs. Brazil is on Sportsnet One at 7:30 10:30 Eastern.

Lineups for the Jays game:

Lineup

TORONTO BLUE JAYS PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
Jose Reyes, SS Ben Revere, CF
Rajai Davis, CF Kevin Frandsen, 2B
Melky Cabrera, LF Mike Young, 3B
Edwin Encarnacion, 1B Ryan Howard, 1B
J.P. Arencibia, C Domonic Brown, LF
Adam Lind, DH Laynce Nix, RF
Brett Lawrie, 3B Carlos Ruiz, C
Moises Sierra, RF John Mayberry, DH
Emilio Bonifacio,2B Freddy Galvis, SS
R.A. Dickey, P Cliff Lee, P

JP gets to catch R.A. Dickey again, which surprises me. I wonder if Gibbons is having second thoughts about the 'personal catcher' thing? Bonifacio plays second, no errors today, ok Emilio? Would this be an appropriate moment to mention that I miss Butterfield?

Mark DeRosa is out for a day or two with a sore back. Rasmus is still out with a sore shoulder, he should be back Tuesday.

If you are watching today, join us in the thread.