Quick Recap: Jose Reyes and Emilio Bonifacio Homer, Jays Beat Phillies

Scott Cunningham

Phillies 6 Blue Jays 11

Just when you think you are going to watch a pitchers duel, the teams score 6 runs in the first 2 innings. A very strong wind, blowing straight out to center, didn't help the pitchers.

R.A. Dickey had a tough first inning, giving up 2 doubles, a homer and a single before getting his second out. He was much better in the 2nd, surviving 2 errors to put up a scoreless inning. He went 3 up, 3 down in the 3rd. J.P. Arencibia looked very good catching him, I don't think a pitch got past JP. It was nice to see. I'm hoping JP catches him for the WBC.

Josh Johnson gave up 1 hit, in his 2 innings. Unfortunately it was a home run. He struck out 1. He looked good.

  • Steve Delabar: 1.0, 2 strikeouts. He was great. It was really good to see, after his first 2 appearances were pretty lousy.
  • Emilio Rogers: 1.0, 1 walk, 1 k. Nice outing from him too.
  • Jeremy Jeffress: 1.0, 1 k. Also his first good showing.
  • Ramon Ortiz: 1.0, 3 hits, 2 earned, 1 k, 1 home run.

It was a good day for the bats, 15 hits, 11 runs, 2 home runs and 6 doubles.

  • Jose Reyes: 3 for 3, home run, double, 3 RBI. They should have let him hit again, to go for the cycle. He's at .643 this spring. That's ok, but he'll have to step it up when the season starts.
  • Rajai Davis: 1 for 3, double. .273. He made an error in CF, pretty easy fly that glanced off the side of his glove.
  • Melky Cabrera: 1 for 3, double, RBI. .267.
  • Edwin Encarnacion: 1 for 3, RBI. .200.
  • J.P. Arencibia: 1 for 3, k. .375. He's really making a case for himself to be allowed to catch R.A.
  • Josh Thole: 1 for 2, double, RBI. .111.
  • Adam Lind: 1 for 3, k. .438.
  • Brett Lawrie: 0 for 3. .267. He was charged with an error, but it wasn't a bad throw, Edwin should have caught it.
  • Moises Sierra: 1 for 2, walk, double, RBI. .333. Also one just amazing catch in right field. He is having a nice spring.
  • Emilio Bonifacio: 2 for 2, double, home run, 2 RBI. .294. No errors. Actually he made a really nice play on a ground ball and a nice throw on it too.

A bunch of our Jays are heading off to the WBC, right after the game today. So tomorrow we won't see as many of our regulars out there. Arencibia and Dickey are joining team USA. Reyes, Encarnacion, Cabrera, and Rogers are on the Dominican Republic's team. Lawrie and Loewen are good Canadians, unlike certain catchers we could name, and are off to Arizona, to play for Team Canuck.

Tomorrow Ricky Romero gets the start against the Phillies. Sergio Santos is also to pitch, so there are still interesting players to watch.